• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer Overpricing

Ryan_man

I think stores and personal "auction" sellers are starting to really overcharge for computer systems.

Everytime I go to pawn shops and used computer stores, they charge 8 times of what a laptop is worth. EX, they will charge $520 CAD for a Pentium 166mhz Laptop 40mb Ram, 2GB HD, with 4X External CD Rom, Internal Floppy, 1 battery and AC Adapter. And that's without an OS installed on it.

I bought a 266mhz IBM thinkpad with 64mb RAM, 4GB HD, No floppy, No CD, 2 great battiers, AC adapter, case, 4mb AGP Card for $160US 2 years ago on ebay.

I figure since I could (if I had the money) buy a brand new laptop with 1.4GHZ CPU and all the bells and whistles for $1100 or less, that I should be able to find a Pentium 1 or 2 laptop for under $200 CAD with just the basics.

I mean come on, it's almost starting to be the same on Ebay. There's people selling a 333mhz laptop (sold as is without Battery) for around $400 (that's the reserve).

People need to realize that technology prices are going down, luckily for them, there are still suckers out there willing to pay all that money for an obsolete system.

Sure $400 may not sound like alot (it really isn't) for a laptop, but when it comes to systems that are worth around $150 - $200 CAD then it starts to become a concern of mine.

Right now I can go down to my local computer store (in this case computer depot, which is a place where they build and sell computers etc..) and I can buy a Used Tower that is a Pentuim 2 466mhz, 64MB Ram, 4MB Video, keyboard and PS/2 Mouse for around $120. But I go on place like ebay or half.com and see people selling the same type systems for around $200 to $400 without keyboard and Mouse. (all in CAD)

Is it just me seeing this? Am I crazy to think that sellers must be completely illiterate and are unable to price computers based on value and age, but rather on what it looks like? Is it because the people buying the computer are foolish or misinformed? Anyone else have opinions on this matter?

And please, don't leave replies calling me stupid and so foreth, it's really anonying and it doesn't add to the topic value at all.

Here's some examples for you:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3429806162&category=42197

C $298.95 for a P166mhz? What the heck is this guy thinking!?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3431424447&category=3715

C $699.00 P3 500mhz, You can get a BRAND new P4 1.6ghz for $1100. Honestly now.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3430665610&category=42197

C $429.99 P2 266mhz, $39.99 for shipping, Do I even have to ask?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3430617834&category=42197

(reserve) C $136.44 for a P 75mhz w/o battery?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3430591070&category=44907

(reserve) C $375.00 for a Celeron 466mhz. Please TELL me it isn't so!!!

I mean holy! You would think these computers are fully plated in silver and gold. Are these people crazy!?!?!?

Ya, that's a IBM Thinkpad 560x. I actually bought the exact same laptop for $160US about 2 years ago. I had it for about 9 months, then my friend needed to borrow it. So I lent it to him, he never gave it back, moved to another city, and wouldn't talk to me on the phone. (I want to hurt him so bad)

The IBM Thinkpad is a very bad system to begin with. The battery I got only lasted about an hour. And if you don't have the original external floppy drive that comes with the laptop, then you are stuck in the water when trying to install an OS. (You have to use a Laptop to Desktop connector, and that's a pain) I actually spent $109 for a external USB floppy drive from futureshop 2 years ago.

My point is, it does look like a good system to the unsuspecting user. But since I live in Canada, you have to convert the price to CAD, add %15 tax, then add a hefty shipping price. BTW it's not a 200mhz, it's 233mhz. :D

LoL, that NEC Laptop... WOW IT HAS A POWERFUL PENTIUM processor, ALL for $270!! What a deal!! lol. Kind of proves my point.

The only reason they are doing this is because they know they can, and can easily get away with it. Previously I walked into a local shop and looked at the prices and the prices were triple of what you can get it at other stores.

I can understand how some local shops have prices double sometimes even more than other big chain stores are selling it. But also have a look at what the quality of the parts are.

As for Ebay, that's another story. Some people bought these machines some time ago and don't realize how the pricing works and think its still worth what they paid few years back. Than there are the people that are ripping all the people out there that don't know computer pricing.

All I can say is do your homework. My father bought a laptop off a store for 3 times the price its worth, because he didn't know. I just informed him a bit about PC's and what would be good for him and what it should cost.

I actually liked my 560z

to install the OS, i just took out the HD, moved it to my dell latitude, coppied all, put back into ibm and continued install.

I've seen 560 specific floppies for 5-10 bucks on ebay, so it kindda makes me feel wierd you spend 109 on a usb floppy :S

the battery I have last for about one hour with max light and 1.5-2 with dimmed light.

The one I sent you costs 25$ + 18 shipping = 43*1.36 = 58.50$ cdn.

Dont forget, ebay = no taxes for us :D

Than there are the people that are ripping all the people out there that don't know computer pricing.

I rip because I love. :D

I just wish I had the money to order a whole lot of 5 thrift Laptops for $1200 and sell each one $699. People seem to be paying for them, so why not? I'm not mad at the people selling the items for such a high price, i'm frustrated at the people who keep bidding and bidding on a ITEM until it's 4 times of what it's worth.

I don't look at eBAY as an online auction site, I think of it as more of a online fleamarket.

Originally posted by Ryan_man
I don't look at eBAY as an online auction site, I think of it as more of a online fleamarket.
lol, both have those fat old bastards that spit when they talk and tell you "i'll make you a deal, just for you buddy!, 500$ for a 486 laptop! what'd ya say?"

Originally posted by Wojtek
I actually liked my 560z

to install the OS, i just took out the HD, moved it to my dell latitude, coppied all, put back into ibm and continued install.

I've seen 560 specific floppies for 5-10 bucks on ebay, so it kindda makes me feel wierd you spend 109 on a usb floppy :S

the battery I have last for about one hour with max light and 1.5-2 with dimmed light.

The one I sent you costs 25$ + 18 shipping = 43*1.36 = 58.50$ cdn.

Dont forget, ebay = no taxes for us :D

Ya, I paid $109 for the floppy 2 years ago. But obviously, it was brand new and such. After it ended up costing me $370 to get the laptop and so foreth, I figured I miswell go and get a good brand new floppy drive. At the time I could not find a 560 floppy anywhere so.

Lets put it this way, all together, I spent over $750 to get my laptop up and running. That's after I bought a network card, cheap case and had somone install Windows 98se for me (he charged $100!!!!). That was all before I knew about computers what I know now and such. I am still kicking myself for being such a bafoon, but oh well, what can you do. What's done is done.

Back