• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Copyrights - I have a question

Jerome_42o

For anyone who is intrested in answering this question for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

I have this idea, Fully designed with key elements from another site ( function elements ) I have been designing my site now for about a week. I have a total of 150 pages designed total but I stop myself because I need to ask this question to clear my head of any confusion this might have when the site goes LIVE!

Lets say... On a website that I am taking key function elements from For Example:

Upload Page ( at the very top of this page it says Upload Your Image ) then it gives a very short description describing its title right below the text that says Upload Your Image ) Is it legal to copy the same exact text onto your own website design?

I ask this for not only Text / Links but Actual Page Design Functions.

I was thinking, If this was illegal how can people create youtube.com and myspace.com scripts and sell them as there own? and not get in trouble for it?

I do not want to expose the site I am looking at for key function elements.

from Wikipedia
Copyright – symbolized "©" – is a legal concept, enacted by most governments, giving the creator of an original work exclusive rights to it, usually for a limited time. Generally, it is "the right to copy", but also gives the copyright holder the right to be credited for the work, to determine who may adapt the work to other forms, who may perform the work, who may financially benefit from it, and other, related rights. It is an intellectual property form (unlike the patent, the trademark, and the trade secret) applicable to any expressible form of an idea or information that is substantive and discrete.

Copyright initially was conceived as a way for government to restrict printing; the contemporary intent of copyright is the promoting the creation of new works by giving authors control of and profit from them. Copy rights have been internationally standardised, lasting between fifty to a hundred years from the creator death, or a finite period for anonymous or corporate creations; some jurisdictions have required formalities to establishing copyright, most recognize copyright in any completed work, without formal registration. Generally, copyright is enforced as a by civil matter, though some jurisdictions do apply criminal sanctions.

Most jurisdictions recognize copyright limitations, allowing "fair" exceptions to the creator's exclusivity of copyright, and giving users certain rights. The development of digital media and computer network technologies have prompted reinterpretation of these exceptions, introduced new difficulties in enforcing copyright, and inspired additional challenges to copyright law's philosophic basis. Simultaneously, businesses with great economic dependence upon copyright have advocated the extension and expansion of their copy rights, and sought additional legal and technological enforcement.

Thank you,
- Jerome

Copyright doesn't come into it unless you use similar/same names, designs or logos - and YouTube & MySpace concepts are certainly not patented so you shouldn't have a problem.

The correct answer: You are seeking legal advice, and only a lawyer can give you that.

That being said: If the text is a "slogan", it could be trademarked. If it is a common phrase, it is unlikely that any trademark could apply. Patents are tricky, and just using the same idea, even if you came up with it on your own, can get you into trouble.

Back