• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Crosswinds Has Been Cheating Death

wow man, and saying that crosswinds was one of the best free webspace providers in the past... look at them now... :eek:

Wow... I can't believe they posted something like that on their homepage. I think they need to develop better abuse tools to curb the warez problem.

The sad truth is that what Tony said is right on. Paid members tend to obey the rules since they are paying. Someday people will understand that free hosting companies can't shoulder the load of a few abusers who insist that they can use up tons of bandwidth at no cost to them. Wake up Dorothy... you're not in the "everything for free" Internet anymore! :rolleyes:

Man, I'd hate to be one of the poor suckers who actually PAID to use Crosswinds because Tony himself said that he'd rather close Crosswinds down entirely than actually charge everyone for webspace or bandwidth over a certain amount.

Oh yeah, I'd like to add that I was once a die hard Crosswinds fan, until they first introduced the stupid bandwidth limit on large outgoing files in January 2001, therefore damaging the effectiveness of my SP Sounds Site. That was when I first fled to NBCi, although I was highly reluctant to at first, but it turned out that was the most practical thing for my site, since NBCi doesn't have a webspace or download limit. Then, I joined CW again in April 2001, when they appeared to have lifted the limit, only to bring it back a week later, so it was back to NBCi for my site, where it is hosted now (also on Nightsteel and Crosswinds, although I never point my cjb.net address to my Crosswinds copy for the time being). Yes, it doesn't bother me that CW has pop-ups, it doesn't even bother me when CW has no FTP (I use their browser upload anyway because their FTP sucks when it's actually working), but NOBODY MESSES WITH THE FUNCTIONALITY OF MY SITE, and that's the bottom line, because Cracker said so!!!

Last edited:
solution needed....

I think fwp's need to find a way to stop the warez,etc. or stay out of business until they do. Its becoming the normal hearing places moaning about the warez and restricting the priviledges of all the normal users as if the normal user can do anything about it.Warez is not going to go away so?

At Worldzone they started some volunteer team to snoop out warez..if it works a good idea..

So I have no ftp at Crosswinds now? Some people have no browser upload ability such as webtv and aol-tv and other set-top gadgets..and...all these new stripped down computers with no hard-drives... (the prior have to use web-based utilities that assist them with ftp)

canadians??

I've seen some Canadians cursing USA people before.....you f__king yankees,etc.etc.

If you have brains the countries are about identical except each went their own direction 1776 era.(british north america)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the only effective way to cut down on warez abuse is to slim down the free webspace offerings: limit file sizes, reduce ftp usage, etc.

Advertising revenue has dropped so low that bandwidth costs far exceed revenues. That's the truth.

Originally posted by Powderboy
Unfortunately, the only effective way to cut down on warez abuse is to slim down the free webspace offerings: limit file sizes, reduce ftp usage, etc.

Advertising revenue has dropped so low that bandwidth costs far exceed revenues. That's the truth.

Disabling FTP for everyone isn't an effective method for preventing warez distribution. There is a fairly effective method that not only leaves FTP open for all to use, but also prevents the warez accounts from clogging up the FTP server.

Think about it - what's one thing that warez FTP accounts have in common that normal accounts don't? Multiple simultaneous logins from a number of different hosts. This makes warez FTP accounts very easy to detect and disable automatically. Spaceports uses this method. If there are multiple simultaneous logins to an FTP account from various hosts, the account is disabled automatically. Sure, there are cases where peoples' accounts are disabled erroneously (such as when they have a poor ISP that disconnects them a lot but leaves "ghosted" FTP sessions open) but these cases are rare and these accounts are easy to reenable. It's certainly a better solution than just disabling everyone's FTP access outright.

Just my two cents.

An other reason might be that you have multiple webmasters working on one site.

That's exactly what I meant when i said "limit FTP usage." You hit it right on the dot.

It is VERY easy to detect who is abusing FTP and who isn't that's what we do. We know when it's a warez site when someone logs into an ftp account simultaneously from multiple locations. Bingo... warez. They are shut down and removed from our network.

Originally posted by CJB

What's one thing that warez FTP accounts have in common that normal accounts don't? Multiple simultaneous logins from a number of different hosts. This makes warez FTP accounts very easy to detect and disable automatically. Spaceports uses this method. If there are multiple simultaneous logins to an FTP account from various hosts, the account is disabled automatically.

Or, they could just do what NBCi does, and disable downloads of files larger than a certain size (250 kb on NBCi) through FTP but not through the web browser. See, the problem on Crosswinds was that the warez masters were letting others use FTP to download files; well, if one can't download through an FWP's FTP, then that plan is moot.

BTW, Crosswinds doesn't believe in setting up "automatic delete scripts."

I work for About.com who owns Freeservers.com, 50Megs.com and thousands of other free Web site communities.

I'm not shy I just don't want everyone to bombard me with questions/complaints.

It feels so good to be "out of the closet" :D

HEY! you wouldn't be able to tell the differnce between the warez sites we bastard canadians make and your little shanty sites

Canadians use the net more than any other country in the world(percentage wise)... EH!?

Back