• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Crosswinds.net

Ederic

I used to have my personal site at crosswinds.net. That is, until they put in the pop-up ads.

How's crosswinds nowadays?

loved them for the free service, despite the often downtime when they were starting.

it's just the pop-up ads...

Yes, Crosswinds is still alive, despite the fact that they've had money problems and the staff has worked 10+ months of no pay (they're still offering free hosting because they truly believe in what they are doing - they didn't just do it because it was "the money making thing" like the late Xoom/NBCi and countless others did). However, Crosswinds is actually slower now than they were two years ago, when they didn't put ads on their members' pages (ironic, but true) - you may not notice it if you just have HTML and small images in your account, but on my cable modem, I cannot download faster than 12 kb/sec from a free site.

Well, trust me, if the Crosswinds staff had this job as a full-time job or even a half-time job, I can guarantee you that they would have long given up. It's not worth all the effort. The entire staff is just a group of people who just feel like helping out, like how I was helping out with 9cy. I certainly wasn't getting paid.

Crosswinds has slowly taken more and more features away. I think they recently limited media files to 45 seconds or something. They're still an OK host, but there are definitely better out there, nowadays. They are still slow, but it's a bit better than before. I don't think they're still accepting signups, are they?

Yeah, about that 45 second thing on Crosswinds - they always had that rule, but in the past, if you wanted to upload multimedia files longer than 45 seconds, you had to get their approval first so they know you aren't uploading illegal MP3's or music videos or whatever. However, too many warez sites (I'd consider illegal MP3's and videos a type of warez, so it probably includes them too) tried uploading that stuff anyway, and it nearly increased their bandwidth costs beyond what they could afford between the time they did so and the time they were caught. Also, they apparently lost long time staff member Lenny, so they're now down to just five employees, and with 1.4 million members, they can't spend their time approving files and checking members' directories, so they simply had no choice but to ban "non sample length" media from free sites (they do let premium members upload that stuff without approval though, because they can trust paying members not to abuse their service - after all, why would anyone want to lose money?).

And yes, they still are accepting sign-ups for free accounts (they just have to be approved first, again, due to warez abuse).

Also, yes, although they are slower than normal, they're at least faster than they were last year at this time (they got rid of the warez idiots, so they were able to lift their bandwidth limits, and they say that when they get more paid members, their server speeds will go back to what they were in 2000, and they'll even get rid of pop-ups, since they make CW so little money it's not funny, but right now, every penny counts).

Last edited:
so, they are indeed suited for static sites. nevertheless, it's a good thing they go on serving the netizens, isn't it?

Yes, they might be lacking in server speed, but you definitely can't say they don't try or are money grubbing ghouls.

Maybe but they are one of the less free hosts that have lasted long and are still lasting. Why you think all the other free hosts with lots of features are dieing soon ?

Yeah, if Crosswinds ever gets to be as fast as they were in 2000, I'd definitely go back to them, since they've outlasted all the other free hosts giving away large amounts of webspace and not setting a traffic limit.

Originally posted by Ederic
if only they would remove the ads... :(

Then purchase one of their premium accounts* - Tony Holmes himself said that they'll remove the ads from the free accounts when they get enough paying members.

* I am not endorsing CW premium - it really isn't fast for a pay host, not a hell of as slow as the free sites, but it isn't up to standards for a pay host.

If you're signing up for their free service, you may not appear to have signed up because the account is not activated instantly. A staff member has to verify the information you provided them to see if you're filling in accurate information or not, and if you've faked your name, home address, phone number, city, or whatever, they will not set up your account, as they've had too many warez abusers in the past that almost put them out of business - they hate to be this strict, but that's just the way they have to survive.

Back