• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Database? php/asp/cgi

SlashTek.com

Hello

I would really aprreciate if someone would give me a link to a script or tutorial :

You know those car buying sites.
You enter lets say Porsche and it displays a list of porsches avalable and then if you click on a model it opens a weird-url'd-page :D wich uses PHP or ASP or even CGI sometimes with the ? "command". Like cars.php?make=porsche&x478gt578t34t478t7834dt4

This is some sort of databse , right?
searched by the script and returned, right?

I'd need someting like this

Thanks You

Flash

Well, if you just want a search engine with a bunchof resuels you cna try hotscripts.com but if you really want a car search program youll need to make a custom application.

These apps (written in perl/ php/ asp) normallyrun off of databases such as sql server, mysql or access.

Yeah, I need a car database :)

k

any idea's on how to start writing this?
are there any Windows programs that allow you to test PHP,ASP,CGI on your PC whitout uploading and testing and stuff?

also,
myfreesql.com or freesql.com would do the job to store my databse or no? and how do I acces a databse remotly from another host?

I know if sounds like some stupid questions, but I've never done any mysql, haha

I'm more talented in Pascal, VC++ :D

Thanks

Flash

The stuff after the file name are variables are being parsed to the script. For example cars.php?make=porsche means the variable $cars in the script car.php will be assigned the value porsche.

Download MySQL and PHP manual at their sites and go through them. If you wanna do all the testing things on you comp before uploading to your server, just setup a local server. Running Windows you can setup an IIS server (easy). Then install Perl, PHP, MySQL... sort of stuffs you need, follow the instructions to make them work with you server.

And if you have at least a broadband connection then you can say goodbye to this forum. :D

Any.
What server is up to your purpose. If you just need a server for testing purposes and you use Windows more than come with IIS, because it is very easy to install, configure... (and as you use for local test, you don't need to worry about security issues).
Apache is best choice if you familiar with Unix and have further intention with your server (bring it to the Internet?). I personally do not recommend the Apache version for Windows.

Did you say IIS came with Windoz?

I'm searching for it and ididtn find it :)

I built myself a small http server in delphi.
Will I be able to install the perl/mysql programs to work with it.

And I dont have any future intesions for my server since I'm on 56k and I dont think people would like to acces a site hosted on a 2kb/sec connection speed, lol :D

Flash

Back