• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

datacenters

Deltaforce229

does anyone know where to find a datacenter? i have 3 very large heavy servers i want to put into a datacenter and i cant find any. i'v searched google and find only one place near me and they have speeds slower then my home internet connection and want 150 a month for each box.

Co-location is very expensive, moreso sometimes then leasing a server itself. Tell us your location and we'll give you a TOP 3 list ;)

this still makes no sense to me;)
Heres what I understand:
When your on a server with a 10mps connection that connection is actually shared over the servers in the space.
I was looking into getting myself a nice, simple p4 and leasing it in a 1 u, but the costs were ridiculous.
can anyone get me space that EQUATES to 10mps speed 1u space and is under $100?

needlehost said:
can anyone get me space that EQUATES to 10mps speed 1u space and is under $100?
Not going to happen... try closer to $30 per 1u and $100 per mbit.

so $30 for a 1u space and then $100 for ever 1mbit on top of that
so for 1u of space with 1mbit line $130? madness, I can get a server for that plus rackspace...
I would rather have my own server in my own space, You have that bit more control and you cut out a middleman, you can also get the perfect server.

Providers by in bulk, some oversell, but it's their responsibility... what you are looking at is the real deal with pricing.

You get good deals if you buy multitudes of it in bulk, then leasing the equipment.

This is why it takes at least 3 years for a real provider to go from dbt to profit. Hence, business loans, investments, credit... uh oh... next thing you know you HAVE to be a Corporation.

heh, I was looking at hostfrog
# 100 mpbs Unmetered
# Premium Bandwidth
# 24/7 On Site Admins
# 4 Static IP Address
# Unlimted Reboots
# CPanel/WHM (+30.00/m)
# Managed Colocation
10 u at 5k a month

so, we'll say 10mps a server:D
10 servers, thats $500 a month.
ouch.
how much bulk to get 1u for $100?
I'm guessing a couple of cabinets?
I'm genuinelly interested.

needlehost said:
heh, I was looking at hostfrog
# 100 mpbs Unmetered
# Premium Bandwidth
# 24/7 On Site Admins
# 4 Static IP Address
# Unlimted Reboots
# CPanel/WHM (+30.00/m)
# Managed Colocation
10 u at 5k a month

so, we'll say 10mps a server:D
10 servers, thats $500 a month.
ouch.
how much bulk to get 1u for $100?
I'm guessing a couple of cabinets?
I'm genuinelly interested.

Are you asking for an offer, (this isn't our thread) but I can PM youi.

If you just want to colo a few servers, this is the one time I would probably suggest going through a middleman. If they are buying in bulk, they can afford to cut you a better deal than if you were to go directly to the datacenter yourself.

Quality also comes into play here. Datacenter is a very loose term that can apply anywhere from someone's old garage :)p) to the likes of Equinix's multi-million dollar facilities. You will pay a lot more for that quality. Now the same can be said for bandwidth as well. Cogent, for example, will be much cheaper than InterNAP/Peer1.

I was thinking of purchasing a server and getting it co-located, but it costs more than a dedicated server. Why is that? :) All they're doing is giving you rackspace and a connection.

spiralfive said:
I was thinking of purchasing a server and getting it co-located, but it costs more than a dedicated server. Why is that? :) All they're doing is giving you rackspace and a connection.

Please see my Post #8 :)

hottweelz said:
Are you asking for an offer, (this isn't our thread) but I can PM youi.
yes please.
If you work out how much space I need to buy for 1u to = $100
and how much the total cost is.
Thanks.

spiralfive said:

it is really not in your best interest if you only have 1 or 2 servers to colo, might as well lease one.

The only advantage is when you are ready for 100mbps line and a couple of servers.

You guys are forgetting about T1/Ethernet/Etc Cross Connects. And also, do you really want 20AMPs dedicated to a Cabinet. Probably not... you need 40 AMPS, Servers start to stress.. 40 AMPS if you use Dell PowerEdge Servers for sure.

I'm thinking for like $7500 per month. Plus a $1200 Setup Fee. 100mbps Unmetered Cabinet. In IOWA, I'm thinking the "Best Kept Secret Around"

Back