• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dedicated which is faster

eugeneo

I need your opinions, we currently have this.

Intel 3.6 Ghz with HT
1 GB Ram

or

Intel Xeon 2x2.4Ghz
2048MB RAM
2 x 36 SCSI Hard Drives
2000GB Tier 1 BW
8IP's

Which one is better?

Forgot to tell it is a registered VB forum with vbseo installed and has a member base of 15000
Currently the Intel 3.6 HT gets a server load of 5.6, also some people are DDOS the server. Anyprograms. APF, BFD, Mod_evassive are already installed.

Last edited:
well it would probally be better to go with the Xeon, then the 3.6HT just due to the 3.6 would only be creating an virtual 2nd cpu, were the Xeon would be running more or less 2 cpus, just my opion :)

most definately the dual xeon if you are having load issues. You may also need to have a look at a place that can handle these ddos attacks for you, like gigeservers.com. They specialize in this sort of "problem" and can help you sort them out and put you on a better path than you currently are

LT really has nothing in the way of ddos protection however. Don't be lured in by an attractive price. It could be $10/mo but if it does you no good then it is not even worth that. Softlayer is pretty nice ddos protection if that is indeed a valid concern with you, next step is gigeservers or staminus

Yes, unless with layered you know what your doing, dont deal with them, not slaming LT, but they are not as organized as before, nor there support that good. You really pay for an unmanaged machien with tehm, no support at all,

So like Availnetworks said dont be lured by an attractive price.

I think i found the problem... It dosn't have a SWAP drive or s swap partition at least... I know this involves repartitioning would it just be faster to get another server from LT?

Just create a swap partition. The intel processor has only 1GB memory the xeon has got 2GB memory plus scsi drives so it will outperform the intel by a large margin. LT setup time around 48 hours.

Thanks for the info guys! How would I just create a SWAP partition, it has a full website on it and the owners want minimal downtime.

Last edited:
Back