• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Deleted posts? (mod/admin only)

the elf

This question is for the mods/admins of this site, so if your not a mod/admin DON’T REPLY!!

I’m just wondering why you guys delete posts rather then just closing them. If a person is stupid enough to post a bad message or a crazy offer, why not let everyone see it and maybe avoid them?

The reason why I ask is because I received a “notice of reply” yet went to read the thread, looked all over, the thread was moved then later deleted as it was not in the same forum as I replied to it in. This was all within a matter of minutes, the reply was made at 8:03 and by 8:13 (pm) it was gone!

The message “Hello the elf,

MN-Robert has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - New hosting - in the Webhosting Offers forum of FreeWebspace.net Community.

This thread is located at:
http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=29997&goto=newpost

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the board again.

Yours,
FreeWebspace.net Community team”, so why was it deleted? When I replied it was in the free web space forum, moved to the offers forum then deleted. :confused2

Why not just have the final say i.e. “this offer is fake”, “this post and dumb” or whatever and close the thread? Now I’ll never know what MN-Robert said. :crysad:

Why can't we respond? If you post it on an open forum, we have every right to reply. Anyway, if you want it to be restricted to only mods and admins, I suggest you PM them.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
Why can't we respond? If you post it on an open forum, we have every right to reply. Anyway, if you want it to be restricted to only mods and admins, I suggest you PM them.

I'm not going to PM each mod, or wait for the mod I pm to get online. When a mod comes on, they'll see my post and respond (I hope).

The reason why I only want mod/admins to reply is because I want an exact answer, not a "maybe" type answer and also because I want to hear it from them! Since they have the final say if a post gets closed/deleted, it's only fair I ask them :)

Like I said, if your not a mod/admin DON'T REPLY (please) :)

OK, I understand. Thanks for explaining, at least. I won't respond to your question, even though I am 95% sure I know why. And also, I think the different mods will have different responses, since some mods may lock, lock, lock; while others just toss it in the trash as soon as they see it. :)

However, don't forget...a user does not have to be online for you to PM them. :)

When warez (or any inappropriate) links are involved, it will get tossed, that way it is out of site out of mind. They no longer get the traffic. If it is simply locked, it is there for all to see. HTH :)

Originally posted by Jan
When warez (or any inappropriate) links are involved, it will get tossed, that way it is out of site out of mind. They no longer get the traffic. If it is simply locked, it is there for all to see. HTH :)

Oh, ok (sounds fair) :)

Jan removes the thread while I tend to lock them if there arent many offensive posts in the threads. Then I will edit the offensive threads as well as get in the last word. If there are too many posts, then I will remove the thread.

However, I am also a lot more lenient on most things. But talk about warez, and I have a prob with that....due to my background. I probably hate warez more than any other mod here. When they deal with warez threads, they are simply enforcing rules......with me, it's a personal vendetta. So each mod is different based on what irks them more. I prefer to make idiots out of warezmasters, while jan deletes them.

The thread you refer to was removed for violating the rules. Likewise MN-Robert's post simply said: "Read the rules buddy"

Looking over some of the more recent thread removals it stacks up like this:
3 - Spam
2 - Warez
1- Other Rule Violation
1 - Digging up an old thread

Typically if the thread can be locked instead thrown then it will be locked. However, we won't lock threads that have URL's promoting a spammers site or warez. Why? Simple, if you lock a spammers message then he still gets promotion as people will view it out of curiousity and this encourage more people to do the same.

Back