• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Device Manager Problems

Rodie

Well, I don't know if this is a problem, but it seems really weird to me. When I go into my device manager in Windows Millenium, the only thing that is listed is "Computer". There is nothing under it (no collapsable plusses, or minusses with all the hardware installed.) It's set on "view device by type", and I've tried clicking on "refresh", but to no avail.

Is this some weird setting specific to millenium that I can change somewhere? Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

I don't know... Mine has the normal tree underneath the "Computer" and I've never had to change anything to make it show that.

Well I called Gateway and *nobody* seems to have ever heard of anything like this. Only thing they could tell me is I had two options. One - just ignore it (there doesn't appear to be any other problems with my system). Two - re-format the hard drive, and re-install windows.

I don't know for sure if it's causing any problems, but I'm having a helluva time trying to install a NIC I bought the other day for my cable modem. And when I called the NIC company up for help they told me to look in my device manager. When nothing was there, they told me to call Gateway and try and fix it.

I think what I will have to do for the NIC is return the one I bought from Best Buy. Buy one from Gateway, and when it doesn't work, I'll just have them tell me what to do. God, I feel like such a luser sometimes.

I don't believe this problem is one that is not found often, if found at all. This is probably a problem that deals with Windows not detecting your hardware properly and the only thing I know that may or may not help is to reinstall Windows.

I'm assuming the only way to re-install windows is to re-format, partition the drive, and then install it. There's no way to re-install windows on top of itself is there?

I don't think you can really uninstall Windows...

this is also weird... a few years ago, when we upgraded from 95 to 98, the C drive still claims "(C: Windows95)" or something like that under Win98.

...or was it when my dad degraded from 95 to Win3.1? I forgot...

Originally posted by Rodie
I'm assuming the only way to re-install windows is to re-format, partition the drive, and then install it. There's no way to re-install windows on top of itself is there?
Just stick the Windows CD in and install it again. It should keep most of the past programs. However, do not use a restore CD because it will lose all of your programs. But if you're ready to lose everything, reformatting and installing or restoring results in a much more stable and fast system.

Originally posted by Coolin
Originally posted by Rodie
Just stick the Windows CD in and install it again. It should keep most of the past programs. However, do not use a restore CD because it will lose all of your programs. But if you're ready to lose everything, reformatting and installing or restoring results in a much more stable and fast system.

LOL, unfortunately I only have a restoration CD since my comptuer came loaded with ME. I might as well just backup my programs on a CD-RW, and reformat/partition/reinstall and go from there.

Damn Windows is diabolikly ev1l

I forgot it was Windows Me. All new computers usually have these lame restore CD's. They're scary (1 gig install when Windows itself takes up 200megs)

Well, I totally wiped my hard drive clean just to be sure (wrote 0's to it with some dos program called gwscan). Then I formatted it, and set up a DOS partition, and re-installed windows. And one-by-one I installed the hardware components and their drivers. And I'm happy to say that the device manager is perfectly fine now. I even got my network card installed. But now I have a problem with my cable modem. It seems the signal isn't strong enough so I will have to get an amplifier or splice some cables or something weird like that.

I still don't know what caused my dm to act like that, but I think something got screwed up in the registry. I don't know if it was a virus or just a fluke, but hopefully I'll never see it again.

Thanks to my CD-RW, I didn't lose any files. Gotta love the bigass storage discs ;)

Yeah my cd-rw has helped me alot too. Once my printer wouldnt work when I had to print off a school project so I just burned the files onto a cd-rw and brought it to school.

I got the cable modem working now too! Hmm this was a good day ;)

The problem was that we have a splitter in our basement that serves like 8 TV's, and we just plugged the modem into one of those 8 jacks, and it didn't get a strong enough signal. So we went in and added a splitter to the main line where it comes in our house. That was all it needed.

Cable is great. I love downloading 5MB files in less than a minute!

Back