• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Dictionary.hm - Review please!

veggie1232 said:
wow great job its really cool just give it a better design and your set

I'm stuck for thought. I think it needs a design too. What do you suggest?

T.M. said:
I'm stuck for thought. I think it needs a design too. What do you suggest?

Hmm, if you are going to change it, maybe make a new logo and add more color into it.

For fun, maybe you could add a "Word of the Day" thing.

I think the actual script could use more definitions, loading time is nice. Nothing too special about it, but I {would} prefer it over dictionary.com because of the ads, if it had all the definitions I needed. I usually look up words that are more slang, or more unique then some of the generic definitions you have. Still a good idea though for sure. 8/10, just ad more definitions.

maybe you could add in definitions of web terms too. like webopedia has. and maybe make the actual word a different color than the definition so that it stands out more.

Well if you need any help designing a simple but affective layout ill help you no problem :p just add me to aim or msn

Ara said:
Hmm, if you are going to change it, maybe make a new logo and add more color into it.

For fun, maybe you could add a "Word of the Day" thing.

HeHe, there is a little fun Word thing - just look very carefully!

Tell yah what uzzer - if I ever find more definitions, I'll add them ;).

Any thoughts on the browse section? I know it's mainly for search engines but I dont want it to ruin the site's look.

I like this site. Easy to use and nice and simple, definitely bookmarked. Maybe add a thesaurus function as well? I like the simple layout as well.

Hmm, I think the browse section is way too cluttered. And "Please choose a letter" should be aligned in the center like everything else (don't know if it's Firefox's problem though). Maybe a simple A - B - C organization would be better than Aa - Ab and so on. I'm not sure though. It would at least look cleaner.

thanks everybody.

This got on the front page of digg and the main comments were:
- Bigger database (a lot of people couldnt find words)
- Spell checker

So i'm going to work on them before the design. Once thats done I'll use the search page as inspiration, thanks pdrucker ;)

Welcome!
To Begin, just type! Results will appear here automagically.
Javascript disabled? Browser not compatible? Click here for a javascript free version.
Find out more - just type 'about us'!
Try Browsing our database.
New!
IE users drag this link to your 'links' bar: Dictionary.hm.
Netscape users, drag this link to your 'Bookmarks' Bar: Dictionary.hm.
Safari users, drag this link to your 'Bookmarks' Bar: Dictionary.hm.
Select the word you need a definition of and click!
Copyright © Dictionary.hm. All rights reserved.

Where did I go wrong?

Back