• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Digital SLR, Anyone?

Hastings

I'm planning on spending under $650 on a new digial SLR... So -

The main problem is that I'm out in the middle of nowhere Maine until the end of august, so there's literally nowhere to get the camera I want local, or to check one out before buying... so that's kind of a bummer, but life moves on...

Dell seemed to have a pretty good handle on the Digital SLR's, and from reading a couple of reviews around the web (Cnet, a few other random ones off google, and a friend of mine), I've pretty much decided to go with the Olympus E-410. The 420 is newer, but it's also not in stock anywhere I can get it online for a reasonable price, and to be honest there's really not that much difference between them... it has .2" bigger screen size and that's about it, so meh. I can get this from Dell (Yes, I hate dell computers too, but they don't manufacture the Cameras so I'm not too worried) for $500.33 with a 14-42 mm lens (in which I'd probably grab a better lens in a few months or when I need it).

Does anyone have any specific recommendations as to which SLR to go with? Has anyone tried the 410 out "in real life", or does anyone possibly own one (or the 420 or 510)? Your input is greatly appreciated =]

Why not try the Canon Rebel Xt / Xti, or the Nikon D40? (The D60 is alright too, but very overpriced at the moment)

And I'm thinking that $650 includes 1 lens as well?

Olympus is a good maker, but I still prefer Canon or Nikon. Also, buy from trusted, professional sources, not from Dell. Believe it or not, Dell might not even deal directly with Olympus, like Circuit City with Nikon (Circuit City's Nikon cameras are from an unknown source and the warranty does not actually apply).

I plan to buy a digital Canon EOS camera since I already have a few canon ef lenses from my old eos camera. I'm thinking about 450d (I think it's named rebel xti in the us).

I really wish I could go with a local company of some kind, but the reality is that my only real option is buying it through Dell...

I went ahead and bought it through dell - The guy that was helping me was really nice, ended up calling him back today from the extention on the email he gave me... For $505.04, I got the Olympus D-410 with a single 14-42mm lens and next day shipping, which is pretty good, because on the Olympus site they estimate $650 for the retail cost :p

As a note: He also said there's a 1 year warranty direct from Olympus, which is good...

I appreciate the recomendations - Something about canon isn't appealing to me, I'm not quite sure what... And as for Nikon, it's all a bit chunky looking, which if I get an SLR camera, I want it to look good (because I'm super picky like that).

I'll be sure to post up how it is once I get it either tomorrow or the next day in the mail =]

I bought my Nikon D40 a month ago. I'm not a pro but I like it. It's the most entry level DSLR i think..

I've told you Hunter, get an Olympus E-410 or E-420! I have been using the E-410 for some time now, and its just spectacular as a camera, works very well and very quick in photography.

I've told you Hunter, get an Olympus E-410 or E-420! I have been using the E-410 for some time now, and its just spectacular as a camera, works very well and very quick in photography.
Very nice camera's.

I really wish I could go with a local company of some kind, but the reality is that my only real option is buying it through Dell...

I went ahead and bought it through dell - The guy that was helping me was really nice, ended up calling him back today from the extention on the email he gave me... For $505.04, I got the Olympus D-410 with a single 14-42mm lens and next day shipping, which is pretty good, because on the Olympus site they estimate $650 for the retail cost :p

That's a good price for that camera. I have to be honest, I'm not too familiar with Olympus' D-SLRs, but I just took a look at the features and reviews, it has a very decent rating - so that's always good news.

As a note: He also said there's a 1 year warranty direct from Olympus, which is good...

Still, I say be careful, because you'd never know if he's telling you the truth or not.

I appreciate the recomendations - Something about canon isn't appealing to me, I'm not quite sure what... And as for Nikon, it's all a bit chunky looking, which if I get an SLR camera, I want it to look good (because I'm super picky like that).

I kind of agree with you for Canon, but I disagree with you regarding Nikon - all a matter of personal preference!

To Peo: I know you probably already know this, but make sure the lenses fit (You are converting from film to digital right?).

Hehe, I did get the E-410 - Without seeing your blog, I probably not only would have gone with a Nikkon from your feedback on the camera, but chances are I wouldn't have even gotten a camera at all, you technically gave me the idea ;)

LOL! Tell us how's your new camera, and show us some of the good shots you managed to get =D

SLRs are suppose to be big, bulky and chunky.. so i won't mind if it looks real ugly!

if you decide to buy used instead, you can get a really nice Nikon D100, professional digital camera, for around $400

[DWH]Yuxuan;999677 said:
To Peo: I know you probably already know this, but make sure the lenses fit (You are converting from film to digital right?).

Yes, from what I know the lenses I have will fit. But I will make sure of that when I buy the new camera.

Well I am kind of jealous of everyone with an SLR :(

It's on my list to get in the coming months, but you know how that goes...

Yes, from what I know the lenses I have will fit. But I will make sure of that when I buy the new camera.

The Canon ones should work, I have a Sigma 70-200 that works with my film but not my 350D. Well, it works but only at the widest aperture it can. Meaning I cannot stop down - does reduce the usability. Unfortunately Sigma don't have the parts to rechip it anymore, so I can't get it fixed. Just a warning in case you have any 3rd party lenses :)

[DWH]Yuxuan;999677 said:

if you stick with Nikon professional cameras, you dont have to worry about that. they all fit, film to digital, and digital to file. :D that is just one reason i love my D100

if you stick with Nikon professional cameras, you dont have to worry about that. they all fit, film to digital, and digital to file. :D that is just one reason i love my D100

Ya, Nikon has no issues with conversion.

But Canon has a bit of an issue with that. Reason being (correct me if I'm wrong), their lenses have something that's built into it (what that is escapes my mind at the moment). The lens will actually fit. So if you set everything to complete manual control, it will work, but it will not work 100% (AKA the meters and detectors don't actually work, or something else might be wonky). I believe when I tried, the pictures turned out darker.

So I recommend people who buy Canon DLSRs and who have 35mm SLR lenses to try it with the body before buying.

All of the Canon professional lenses (Their L range) will work with any of their newer bodies. Obviously.

AFAIK, continuing on Yuxuan's point, the autofocus in the older lenses wont work so you'll be stuck with manual focus.

Back