• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

DNS + Kloxo?

ThePro

I just bought a VPS, kloxo is installed.

But, how do i setup nameservers i have only 1 IP?

I tried setting the DNS Template as ns1.theproweb.net and ns2.theproweb.net

And pointed those to my server IP

Will doing that make DNS work?

Thanks! :D

You need to go to your domain registar and register "both" nameservers to your VPS's IP. You should be able to find a tutorial by googleing "{your domain registar} custom nameservers tutorial" without the quotes.

You will need at least TWO dedicated IP addresses to set up nameservers.

No you don't. It's a waste of IPs if they are both on the same server and not needed for SSL or something else. You would need 3 VPSs in different datacenters if you were following RFC 2182. 2 IPs on the same VPS does not add ANY redundancy.

Last edited:
You're right, pointing them both to the same machine would be a waste of an IP, but at the same time, by doing so, you're also going to be creating a single point of failure in your DNS system.

How does 2 IPs on THE SAME VPS add anything to your redundancy? Only multiple servers in multiple locations would provide additional redundancy.

How does 2 IPs on THE SAME VPS add anything to your redundancy?

Where did I say that it did?

In order to correctly set up your DNS, you need at least TWO dedicated IP addresses registered with TWO different nameservers pointed to TWO different machines on TWO different subnets... minimum.

If you want to set up your DNS half assed, then yeah register two different nameservers with your domain registrar, point them to a single IP on one machine and then create a single point of failure.

Well, all i'm wondering is that if it would work or not :S

Don't really care about dns being up or down, cause it's just going to be used with the same server

So will having ns1 and ns2 pointed to the same ip work or not?

Where did I say that it did?

In order to correctly set up your DNS, you need at least TWO dedicated IP addresses registered with TWO different nameservers pointed to TWO different machines on TWO different subnets... minimum.

If you want to set up your DNS half assed, then yeah register two different nameservers with your domain registrar, point them to a single IP on one machine and then create a single point of failure.

Yup. And considering how cheap you can find 512MB-1GB VPS these days it would be sad not to setup a DNS cluster.

Yup. And considering how cheap you can find 512MB-1GB VPS these days it would be sad not to setup a DNS cluster.

You know what's really sad is that 95% of the hosts on this forum have DNS that is set up incorrectly or have single points of failure. You question them on it and they act like you're the fool for pointing out their faults, or they play ignorant. Oh well.

I run my cPanel DNS Only on 128mb guaranteed/256 mb burst VPSs (these can be found for $15 a year.) 1GB is overkill for DNS.

That's nice and all, but I was just making an observation. I don't really care if you use 64MB or 10GB of RAM for a DNS server.

You know what's really sad is that 95% of the hosts on this forum have DNS that is set up incorrectly or have single points of failure. You question them on it and they act like you're the fool for pointing out their faults, or they play ignorant. Oh well.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I read the thread Schmarvin made and discovered that he had no PTR records setup; especially since he is a paid web host. I was even more surprised to learn he only allowed 25 emails a hour and said anyone having problems with his mail server should use google apps.

The kicker for me was he thought reverse DNS allowed for more spam.

I'm not really trying to start a flame war here or cast a bad light on people, but some of these web hosts really need to get better educated.

I run DNS checks on folks around here just to see who has their DNS set up correctly and who doesn't. You'd be surprised at the results. Almost all of these "hosts" on here have some kind of DNS problems or have DNS that are set up incorrectly. That's no exaggeration either. The average customer wouldn't know any different, and apparently these kiddie hosts do not either.

If the DNS server fails, wouldn't apache fail as well under most circumstances? I've only had my DNS server fail on its own once, and that was completely my fault. Having another DNS server wouldn't help much, unless you had a backup server running as well in a completely different data center, right? But then forums and blogs would be messed up from wrong posts. How many servers should the OP purchase to run his personal site?

How does 2 IPs on THE SAME VPS add anything to your redundancy? Only multiple servers in multiple locations would provide additional redundancy.

Because if one IP gets attacked by DDoS, then the other is still available. As well as your secondary nameserver, if you had one. :) That's how I was able to make backups of everything.

Because if one IP gets attacked by DDoS, then the other is still available. As well as your secondary nameserver, if you had one. :) That's how I was able to make backups of everything.

That's a joke right? A DDoS would take out the entire box under most circumstances making a second IP irrelevant. By the time you null routed the IP the DDoS was hitting the damage would have already been done.

That's a joke right? A DDoS would take out the entire box under most circumstances making a second IP irrelevant. By the time you null routed the IP the DDoS was hitting the damage would have already been done.

Really? I can still access my server fine. As by my provider, it was a 600mbps attack which is still going on and hitting the one IP they have null routed. I can still access my server and files easily though. So I just poked a hole in your theory.

Really? I can still access my server fine. As by my provider, it was a 600mbps attack which is still going on and hitting the one IP they have null routed. I can still access my server and files easily though. So I just poked a hole in your theory.

When you null route the IP the DDoS is hitting obviously the rest of the server will stay online. Were you still able to access the server when the IP wasn't null routed?

Back