• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do I require a VPS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlBUGer

Hello. Even though I used to be a host myself with dedicated servers and whatnot else (all now sold to someone else), I never really limited my users on what they could use on the server. If I had 20 clients, they could all use as much as they needed without restriction so I wasn't really sure how much each client really required as a bare minimum for their site to run smoothly.

So now I'm looking for hosting for a currently active site but am unfamiliar with what they really need to run smoothly. I need hosting for a SMF forum that currently averages at about 500 users online at any one time while I know that will grow to 1000 or more. Thus, I'm wondering, do I need a VPS or are there some 'beefy' shared hosts out there, kind of like what I used to do myself, that could handle the forum?

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Only other things required are:

* 3 GB space
* 100 GB bandwidth
* cPanel (mainly only because I have a full cpanel backup from a previous host and it's what I'm already used to)
* And obviously good reliability, uptime, and support.

Price/budget is up in the air at the moment.

Thanks.

I would say you do need a vps. Or a small dedicated. I would suggest ServerComplete personally for a vps server [Thats who I use]

Do you use up all that 100GB bandwidth? If so, get a VPS, that's alot for a forum. You don't need a big VPS either, a shared host wouldn't support you with the chance of up to 1000 users online at one time.

OK, that's what I thought. I knew my hosting I used to offer was different as all of my 'shared' plans weren't restricted but most other hosts restrict greatly it seems.

No, 100 GB bandwidth is thinking about the future and for extra padding, just in case.

Thanks for the input. Now I guess I need to figure out exactly how much RAM I'll need (as well as figure out which VPS hosts are good out there). :)

Last edited:
try umm vpsrus.com they have pretty good VPS and should be able to handle your forums without a hitch i believe. They have that quad core guarantee so its pretty tempting. I run my own servers and I would offer you a VPS, but I don't do that anymore, too much trouble IMO. Anyways check out their specials I think you can still get free cPanel/WHM.

I recommend using a VPS too :)

I'm currently hosted on ServerComplete and it's a pleasant experience so far :D

A VPS may work, but I believe a better option would actually be a semi-dedicated solution.

There are a couple of providers that offer semi-dedicated hosting, and if you search, you can get some pretty good deals. On a semi-dedicated shared host, you would have more power than you would on a VPS. On a VPS you have more control. If you really need both of these, look into a Hybrid VPS or dedicated server.

I really think you would manage to do everything on semi-dedicated hosting. By getting a VPS it is very likely to pay for unused resourses. The more so because upgrade is always possible:)

If you would consider semi-dedi as a possible solution - I can recommend downtownhost.com as a quality provider which has attractive semi-dedicated plans.

A good VPS should suit you know. You can always upgrade the VPS later when you expand. Eventually, you will probably need a server though.

A large VPS would be ok, but with 500 users online that could cause a great slow down if you do not have much processor speed and therefore ideally a dedicated would be better

A large VPS would be ok, but with 500 users online that could cause a great slow down if you do not have much processor speed and therefore ideally a dedicated would be better

Same here. Go with dedicated. At least you will won't switch in near future.

A good VPS should suit you know. You can always upgrade the VPS later when you expand. Eventually, you will probably need a server though.

You are right sir. VPS servers are more used now, then dedicated server and people can find VPS configuration which have server and save some amount of money at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back