• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domain expired but cannot buy it yet...why?

curiousity

I saw a domain that I really want to buy and from the whois look up, it has expired about 3 days ago. But for some reason, I cannot buy that domain name because it still is not available to be bought. So how long do I have to wait in order to buy it. Do I have to check back every day to see if I can buy it?

Quote from another post I did earlier today:
If a domain expires it's a free for everyone again. Whoever registers it the first again will get it and that doesn't mean it will be you.
Also a registar isn't required to instantly release an expired domain, some will keep a hold on it for as long as three months and possible offer it for sale to others as well.
I'd go to the registar's site and see if they aren't offering it as a sale somewhere on their site.

Good luck grabbing it

After a domain expires the registrar must within 45 days send it into REDEMPTION PERIOD. Redemption period lasts for 30 days which the former owner has to recover his domain. After redemption period transpires without recovery the domain goes into PENDING DELETE which lasts for 5 days. Only after pending delete does the domain drop.

There are exceptions. Because of technical error some domains can be ON HOLD status for 6 months to years after the domain expires. This is rare though.

So basically it is a loooooong wait still before you can register that domain.

Wow, I have to wait about 80 days in order to register it. I just hope that the owner of that domain does not renew.

Back