• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

errr... to buy a domain, or ... well i need one

Cheap Bastard

was gonna be 'or not to' but that don't count:)

Anyways, i am looking for the cheapest place where i can have a RELIABLE domain (good uptime... GOOD uptime...)

I've bought a domain off of networksolutions.com and had no complaints about the uptime, but $35/yr... There's gotta be something as reliable for less money:D

So, experts, help me out pls;)

anyone that you buy a domain from will be reliable. All domains are stored in the same database. I would recommend jumpdomain.com though, the interface is easy and I have had no problems with them.

the only reason i'm asking is cuz namedemo and namezero both are down quite a lot, so i figured every one has a seperate database (which dazzled me on how the internet could work that way but i figured 'oh')

So anywhere?

1 more Q, so gkg.net is as reliable as jumpdomain.com, right

*edit* Also, i'm looking for a 'real' domain (as in http://www.whatever.com/dir/mypage.html works just like http://64.255.255.255/dir/mypage.html would work)
btw, yea these are fake... */edit*

[Edited by Cheap Bastard on 12-09-2000 at 03:16 PM]

You are confusing a couple of things. One, your domain will be registered no matter where you register it with the same reliability. Whether or not the registrar is fast, allows for easy changes, and has acceptable terms is another thing. These are the primary issues when choosing a domain registrar. Uptime is not one of them.

Now, the companies you mentioned (namedemo and namezero)also provide the DNS for the domains they register (for you, in their name). The DNS is what points the domain to the place where your files are on a server somewhere.

Generally, your host provides the DNS service and takes care of this but there are services available (for free even) that let you take control of this.

Next we come to how the site is set up on the server. IN some cases, the server directs visitors to the proper place by NAME (IP-less name based hosting). Sometimes the domain is set up with a dedicated IP address and the DNS is pointed to that (not just the server IP address).

Registering a domain (for the most part) gets you one thing. A name that you can call your very own, for a year (or however long you register it for, and keep paying the fees). It doesn't give you an IP address (host issue), nor have anything to do with uptime (DNS provider and host issue - could be the same company, could be different).

A real domain is blahblah.com/.net/.org/.nu/.etc.

[Edited by Chicken on 12-09-2000 at 07:58 PM]

okay
so let me ask this then...
if i want a domain within the week, and i want it to work with DNS, would gkg.net be good? Or jumpdomain? Or someplace else?
thx, chicken:) Helped a lot...

(DNS is the file forwarding, right?)

Well first you'll need a host, but assuming you have a host in mind, you could register with gkg (or other) and have a site up in a day or two.

Registrar wise, DNS usually refers to the name servers you'll put down when you register your domain (nameservers of your host in the form of ns1.yourhost.com, ns2.yourhost.com).

If you choose a paid host:
Your host wil take care of setting up the actual zone file for your domain (which includes pointing your domain to the correct spot, MX records for your email, etc.). Just list your host's nameservers when you register your domain.

If you choose to redirect your domain to free webspace:
I'd recomend you either use a registrar like redirection.net (domain registration and fowarding all in one), or register your domain with gkg (or other), and use a service like mydomain.com or centralinfo.net to forward your domain to your free webspace. Be sure that the redirection service you use offers *some* option for forwarding your email for your domain.

It depends on how you want to do it, whether this is for a free host or a paid host.

<<MOD NOTE>> See new thread <</MOD NOTE>>

::Edited by Chicken on 12-10-2000 at 12:04 PM::

lol, Peo can I be a moderator and do that? please! :)

[Edited by }:8) Supermoo on 12-10-2000 at 11:59 PM]

... you need dns for e-mail forwarding?

in that case, someone told me about this free DNS service on the internet... I forgot the addy but i'm sure someone here remembers...

Also... Since i'm kinda into this thread, i heard a lot of people recommend tera-byte, so (just making really sure) they do that stuff, right? I'd probly end up picking plan 3 cuz that's the lowest that has a cgi-bin...

Also getting off-topic (again) but if i wanted to use vBulletin (i heard it used MySQL, only available in plan 4) would that be possible without MySQL (without any... MAJOR differences?)

And back on topic... I can do subdomains with any domain too, regardless of subscription place or host, right?

that's all for now (i'm sure i can think of more...)

You need DNS for everything but having your domain registered. Often though, all of this is taken care of by your host (you mentioned tera-byte, yes they would do this), and all *you* need to do is put your host's nameservers down at the time of registration (or modify later).

You need an SQL database for vBulletin, though there are variations (you don't need 'mySQL'). It is just a common one you'll see installed. Tera-byte's newer plans actually don't have mySQL installed (but do have a different version that is fine).

And back on topic... I can do subdomains with any domain too, regardless of subscription place or host, right?

No, this isn't true. Subdomains have to be set up on two places. One, the DNS server (which will direct the subdomain to the proper server), and two, on the server itself. It's a bit too complicated to go into the ways that this can be done, but briefly it can be either set up on the server just as a full domain would be, or pointed to an IP address and then directed via a script in place of your index.html file. Best to ask your host what you can and can't have set up through them.

someone told me about this free DNS service on the internet... I forgot the addy but i'm sure someone here remembers...

http://www.mydomain.com & http://www.mydns.com
http://www.centalinfo.net
http://www.zonedit.com

Just three of many available, and I'm not sure if these will confuse you. Some offer advanced features which you might not quite get, but maybe you could take a look at a place like zonedit or centralinfo and see what goes on when hosts DNS your domains, and what a zone file for a domain looks like.

Side Note: If you choose a host such as tera-byte, *they* will do what you'll see at those three places for you on *their* nameservers. Like I said at the top of the post, all you'll have to do is list ns1.yourhost.com and ns2yourhost.com at your registrar. Your host has something similar to zonedit and centralinfo and they will use their servers to do all that.

Back