• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Evil Domain System! Evil Holds!!

Ted S

I'm going to be breif hre but I need to rant a little....

Has anyone else noticed that whena domain expires, especially a domain held by network solutions, it doesnt reallye xpire. I've got a list of names I wan tot buy, some expired 2 months ago, others expired last week. FOr the most part they still all resolve to their old sites, they still are all not availiable from any registrar and they sitll have their old contact information.

Domains are suppose to expire on a set day and be free for the taking... this whole 'expire when we want it to expire' systme is absolutely horrific. It seems that someone division of corenic or internic or somehting is up to no good. Registrars are suppose to pay a fee for names and I highly doubt they're paying to hold every name for a few extra years????

Yeah I hav noticed. Network Solutions does this particularly. This is legal but not ethical. Basically if they have a great domain valued at a good price with them they keep it with them even after it expires. I think if you complain to ICANN something might come out of it although with network soultions you never know.

Although this has been discussed before, one more time...

The 'expiration date' is a billing expiration date. That is when the money is due to renew the domain. It is not when the domain is returned into the pool.

I believe it is 45 days after the non-payment that the domain is (in theory) considered not paid for and a few more days after that it would (in theory) be returned, able to be reregistered.

The registrars do pay a fee for every domain registered to the registry. Who runs the registry? NetworkSolutions. See a conflict of interest there?

Some people have been tracking domains for over a year that have not been renewed, nor returned to the pool. 2 weeks or 2 months even, is nuttin'...

Is it only NSI that does this? Or do other registrars have this habit as well?

I have a buddy that's been tracking a domain for almost 3 years and NSI won't release it.

I took a chance and let one of my domains go back to NSI a few months ago and after 60 days it was released into the pool where I registered it at GKG.net for $10 a year instead of $35.
mwahahah now I only have one domain left in NSI's evil clutches. :biggrin2:

I'm sure all the registrars do it to some degree but NSI is the worst offender of all.

Peace...

Back