• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FireFox eating my system memory

nvhost

I would like to know if there's a program or fix/patch I can use to lessen the memory/RAM being consumed by Firefox. My PC hangs a lot after opening a few tabs. My ram is still 512MB by the way.

There is a known and well documented issue with Firefox causing this to happen on PC's. Make sure you have the newest version and know that some extensions also have a leak.

From everything I read/hear/experience, Firefox v. 3 when it is officially released, will fix some of the memory leak issues. I don't personally experience anything too extreme [IE and Firefox use the same amount of memory for me, or darn close], but I also have almost no extensions loaded into either IE or Firefox.

Firefox 3 beta also is fairly stable if you want to try to use it.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/all-beta.html

[edit: 4,000th post. What a waste of 6 years here at FWS ;)]

I use firefox and i dont have any problems.You must check the extensions taht you have with Firefox.There are people that have more than 10 extensions in firefox and they dont need even the half of them.I only have about 5 of them,and are the basic ones.

True.

FireFox runs smoothly on most systems. Installing large amounts of addons will cause FireFox to hog memory, but running it alone its better fine, much better than IE.

I'd personally say loose the addons and upgrade your ram.

If you are using Vista on 512mb ram I must have to laugh.

The wonders of having 8gb RAM! :D

You will experience problems with FireFox when using it on a low RAM PC. You should need about 1-2gb RAM to experience the full power of FireFox, and for the love of your PC, don't goto Opera :p

Opera is GREAT, GREAT, GREAT, ........... n times Great. (where, n=infinity)

Trust me, no other browser on earth can match Opera.

Some people hate Opera, just because it is not Open-Source. They a plain open-source extremists.

And I am an Opera fanatic...

In Firefox, go to the address bar (in a new tab obviously) type in about:config. When the list of stuff comes up, right click the list, hover over "New" and click "Boolean." Then, type in config.trim_on_minimize in the dialog, and when it asks for a value, drop down to true if it isn't set to true when the value dialog comes up. This will help when firefox is minimized to the taskbar.

See Above

Back