• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free phpBB hosting script?

andrewb

Hi,

Does anyone know of a free script that allows me to host phpBB's.

This is for a free hosting company, and no ads will be displayed on the forums.

If anyone can help, I will be able to give you a good free hosting plan.

Looks like the other post - but I'd suggest just getting people to apply and set up a board manually. Scripts for that sort of thing are pretty complex.

no, if you read it more under, you can see that there is no free script for phpbb either, according to mmkmaster.

sebflipper has a script, though for $50, also it's not very easy customizable because all forums uses a same folder.

You can pay $400 for someone to code this script for you.

Why would anyone not want to give people access to their files anyway? Because the admins don't have enough privledges on their own hosting server? Or is it because they want to have full control over their hostees? I just don't get it.

DarkBlood said:
Why would anyone not want to give people access to their files anyway? Because the admins don't have enough privledges on their own hosting server? Or is it because they want to have full control over their hostees? I just don't get it.

If you want FULL control over your phpBB forum, pay for it. Simple as that.

What happened to people coding your own script? Are there any hosts anymore that code everything themself?

I think it's all a bit more complex than just a standard script, PSAN is right all hosts except one I know have given up coding their own. It used to be because hosting cost more so the profit margins allowed for developement work but with some offering silly amounts for $0.99 it's kiled the serious hosts budgets for that.

IMHO what would be needed is signup form, linked to both the signup end (whether it be an e-mail or redirect to paypal or whatever) and a script that automatically creates the account and then goes on to do an auto install of the script required, that then e-amils the user with the logon details for admin.

Oh hang on that sounds like WHM Autopilot - a pricy little number but great at what it does so really yep it would be a custom job.

So back to the old manual method I'm afraid.

I do know someone who had coded a script for cPanel signup where people enter all their details e.t.c. inc. subdomain and the like, it checks the database and comes up with clashes.

If it doesn't, it puts it into a MySQL database.

There is an admin panel where people can accept or deny the hosting request.

An email is sent about the decision and if it has been accepted it sets up the account through cPanel.

So no-one codes anymore? :p

how much do u think this script would sell for commercially? a good budget would be around $30 for each licensed copy of these scripts at the very least, why? because the author of the script put his/her time and effort to code this script and wants his/her profits from it, problem is, alot of coders dont know how to encrypt their codes, hence alot of script piracy, and not every server has Zend protection, or take into the fact the price of the Zend Encoder, most people would probably give up before they consider trying to make their own scripts, and yet some do, and thats why those who do are VERY successfull at ot.

Last edited:
A majority (but, sadly, not all) of scripts on the web are open source and free, the ones that aren't free still are generally open source.

I don't see why people wouldn't code their own scripts! I code all mine and its nice to be able to say I made ALL the site (except when its too hard, I'm only 13 :p).

Going back a bit, we had time to program and workloads were a bit less now the prices are down the specs up and the workload heavier. Having to be more competetive means you don't take on extra staff but you all work harder so the 'slack' time that could be allocated to doing neat things for clients has well and truely dissappeared.

$30 is a good price for a script that would do what's being talked about, we do a CMS at £30 (which is a bit more involved than the script) so still a good price for what you get (written from scratch easy to admin and fully ZEND encoded so a fair bit of work/cost and ongoing dev work there)

Still, maybe some of the folks who do it as an interest might come up with something. :classic2:

DarkBlood said:

Heres the reason, some idiot kids or hacker or spammer can upload/edit a PHP file into something dangerous. And using that dangerous file to do dangerous things such as harming your server.

Or they can turn all that forums files into a website and will be using the intended Forum Hosting for different purposes.

There are many more possibilities, that's why we don't allow FULL access to your files.

An example of this? We see Free Instant Activation Hosts get abused and then closed down all the time. Why? It's Free, its Instant, it takes little to no effort to get an online account and then abuse it.

Back