• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Free SSI/10MB/cgi hosting (can i use virtual ave)

thebloke

Hi, I'm looking for an 'established' (i.e. won't shut down too soon) host that gives:

SSI support
a cgi-bin
10mb+
for a non-commercial site

I also need popup ads or positional banners, as banners mess up the SSI.

I've used the powersearch but most of the links that look interesting either don't work, or have no reviews. Does fs2 give ssi support, and do you need to use the ISP to get the webspace?

Do Virtual Avenue (www.virtualave.net) allow or not delete on their servers personal pages?

Thanks
thebloke

[Edited by thebloke on 11-26-2000 at 10:10 AM]

I have not used vitual ave, but i know a few people that used them for personal pages, and there are probley more out there, but you can give it a try, it probley wont get deleted

[Edited by Mrh0ax on 11-26-2000 at 12:05 PM]

I've been thinking what qualifies as personal?

What is
personal - non-personal
for example my own homepage vs. my tennis clubs pages

commercial - non-commercial (not peronal)
What's qualifies as business? vs. my tennis clubs pages

I know that at least Netfirms allows also non-commercial business sites... what's non-com business hmm........

My 'non-commercial' site is located at VA and has not been deleted (one year experience).

F2s.com may not support SSI but it surely supports PHP and PHP has a great include command that works just like SSI.

You could always use Netcabins.com. They say in their FAQ that they will take personal sites. They haven't yet put their ad system in their members' pages yet, but on that FAQ page it says you will be able to place an image map anywhere on your page. Maybe that will help ya :)

Another thing... I would like to know, what is the difference between SSI and PHP? I've used SSI and I heard that SSI can really slow down the server...

That PHP code didn't work. Are you guys either sure that f2s supports php or sure that the code is correct? Thanks.

Nevermind, I realized that the page can't just be plain old .html or even .php...it has to be renamed to .php3

Virtual avenue doesn't really care about the content of your page as long as it doesn't contain any illegal stuff.

Or get busy...
Or have BB that uses resources more than just html.

On the other hand you can really trust VA. My site isn't the busiest but I haven't noticed downtime at all in one year that I have had my site there. Also the speed is very stabile and good. I recommend if you don't mind the pop-ups. F2S etc don't get even close as of speed and reliability...and I think that the downtime of the many other FWP's is a too big a price to pay for 'adfree' or 'unlimited' something.

Back