• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FreeBSD cPanel server

abiko

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody is using/setup their dedicated server with FreeBSD and cPanel on it?

What I read from browsing around FreeBSD is far more stable than CentOS/RHEL .

As most of the servers are using ext3 FS, NAS servers mostly, FreeBSF "supports" ext2. So far I have found this to be the only disadvantage.
Learning curve can't that steep if you know linux, just switch your thinking about UNIX flavored thoughts :)

Your thoughts are welcome on this matter. :)

lots of ppl din use FreeBSD is bcoz it is a little hard to configure and takes more time to manage it.

for hosting providers that concern about the consumed time for a single server, usually will directly go for CentOS

this is y u see not much host is using FreeBSD as their web hosting servers.

but if it is for personal use or u dun mind to spend more time, it is definitely a great choice.

I used to run a FreeBSD directadmin server, setup for shells/ircds etc, it was alot more stable than linux but I am not sure about cpanel..

Hey Darknight, I've never actually used FreeBSD - but when you were running it, other then stability was performance the same or better then Linux, or was it worse?.

I think FreeBSD performance are lower that CentOS. If not why most of the people use CentOS?

from wat i experienced, the performance and stability of FreeBSD is above most of the Linux distros.
the only problem is, it is very very hard to setup, and due to hard to setup, it does consume much more time to configure it compare to Linux distros.

The reason why usually people choose CentOS, is because CentOS is saving a lot time for configuring it, plus there is a lot of tools to configure CentOS with shortcut way, which it is ideal for hosting providers, coz it does save a lot time and hassles

I don't think that "hard to setup" distro, if provides increased stability and security, would be any issue - as with standard learning of Linux system administration there would not be any issue with configuring a small FreeBSD server and crash/burn it and learn how to properly configure FreeBSD.

CentOS/RHEL/Fedora/Debian are all easy-to-use and configure distros. Basically if you get an empty server, you just tweak around the SSH config, harded named setup after cPanel install and set CSF/APF/custom iptables rules and you're ready to go.

Hey Darknight, I've never actually used FreeBSD - but when you were running it, other then stability was performance the same or better then Linux, or was it worse?.
I didnt notice any difference, except freeBSD was far more user friendly for IRCd's and eggdrops etc.

Honestly? I found it pretty easy to configure and I had less issues with compatibility on IRC APPs., I wouldn't wanna try it with cpanel though, cpanel is a boggy panel (Lots of different things) that was really developed for linux... I think you would have a hard hard time setting it up with freebsd... you would face alot of "issues"
Debian would be my fav linux dist but I probably find it harder to use than FreeBSD, when it comes to IRC sometimes things just dont work... and it makes no sense why...
But that all depends on what OS people use, for some reason alot of providers dont use netinstall OS and it ----ing pisses me off.

&& yes FreeBSD has a type of package manager
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

to me, both BSD and Linux is good.
anyway, it is up to a person's preference to choose the distro that he/she desire and familiar with.

this is y I love both BSD & Linux.
:)

Note: I am talking about FreeBSD, not BDSM. hahahhaha

@abiko
i prefer to just port the apps, already get used to portal
lol

anyway, since this thread is about FreeBSD, i think we should mention about other BSD distro such as OpenBSD and NetBSD

Back