• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Frustration with cybersquatter

mrpaul

I really want a particular domain bad. If this *@#*ing cybersquatter in the UK keeps renewing it before it expires, there's nothing I can do about it besides make him an offer?

Last edited:
yup, gotta make an offer if the guy won't let go of the name

but there r other ways to get the name...but its illegal n its not the place to discuss it here

okay, but it expires this May and if I'm lucky maybe he won't renew it early. I heard about Snapnames which can back-order the domain for $49. Has this worked for anyone or is it a waste of money?

Originally posted by wm2k1
yup, gotta make an offer if the guy won't let go of the name

but there r other ways to get the name...but its illegal n its not the place to discuss it here
no there's not, quit pretending to be a hacker.

Originally posted by keith
no there's not, quit pretending to be a hacker.

then i suggest u read an article written by Lee Hogdson, founder of DomainGuru.com, which was recently publish on SitePoint (site that helps webmasters), discussed how ez it is to steal some1 domain names

1) "Most registrars allow registrants to manage their domain names online using a control panel or a management site. This is convenient but a potential security risk...If the domain name management site uses a URL that begins with http:// instead of https://, it means all information flowing between your PC and the server is unencrypted. In that case, the information transmitted is available for skilled hackers to read and interpret, which is a potential security risk."

2) "Network Solutions Inc. allows customers to make changes to their domain name records by fax. For domain names registered under organization names, the company requires faxes on a company letterhead...hackers have forged letterhead and changed the administrative contact for a domain name. Once they have control of the administrative contact e-mail address, all kinds of other changes are possible, including transferring the name to a different registrar altogether."

3) "Knowledgeable domain hijackers initiate transfer requests through the weakest domain registrars."

Originally posted by alien
Why not just get another available domain name than waiting for the domain to expire?

:rolleyes:
Because it's the most simple generic name possible for what I want. I could get it with a dash in there. But I don't want the stupid dash :mad:

Back