• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

FYI - RedRival goes bye-bye...

Tater

Just got this email today. Although I haven't used them in a year or so, it looks like another one bites the dust.

"Now, I write before you all, to bid a farewell to the service that provided an online home and community for the few years it existed. As unfortunate as it is, RedRival's free services(all services provided for free, including
upgrade packages) will cease operation as of May 1, 2001"

They're dropping like flies. No ads = no money = dead FWP.

Peace...

It's funny, when crosswinds went to pop-ups, a lot of people hated them, and left for redrival.
Haha.

They stopped signups back in 2000, but they were still offering free hosting for their members. Then they had to force pop-ups and later on banners on members' sites because their sponsor(s) abandoned them. For a while, it seems like their pop-ups were going to generate enough money, but then their pop-up providers waved Redrival goodbye, so now Redrival can't handle it and decided to switch to pure paid hosting.

I used Redrival a few years back... they were actually one of the free webhosts I was mildly happy with.

They were great for a some time. Unfortuantely, there is probably more bad news to come. The business model has shown that it doesn't work for no-ad hosts and it's only a matter of time before the last "fairly" stable (lasting more than a few months) is gone... f2s.

For that matter...free hosts with ads are still trying to figure it out too.

Back