• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Game Performance, Vista vs. XP?

I don't have enough stats behind me to back it up, but I will put it in simple terms; enough to notice.

I went back to XP b/c CS:Source had about a 10-20 FPS drop. Thats significant to a hardcore FPS player [which I am not, but just got tired of vista in general, and this didnt help matters]

not to mention the terribleness of the os, just a complete waste of space and memory for eye candy's sake. not worth it, xp is pretty close to a perfect os in my opinions

Windows XP will give you a noticeable increase over Vista no matter what your specifications are.

Vista is worthless unless you have a most powerful system.

Games will eventually stop being supported in XP with the whole DirectX 10 stuff only coming out in Vista. So if you're like me and don't like installing a new OS now and then, get Vista.

Wait till that actually happens and hardware is cheaper, then upgrade.

At the current time, is there any logical reason to switch?

Wait till that actually happens and hardware is cheaper, then upgrade.

At the current time, is there any logical reason to switch?
The fact that its 200% faster than XP, more reliable and looks prettier. I have no problem with Vista, all my software works and it loads and works faster.

From my experience running vista and XP on 2 new laptops (identical), it loads up around the same as XP on 1GB RAM, and loads high resource applications slower.

Windows XP:
15% CPU (idle)
30% RAM (idle)

Windows Vista:
20% CPU (idle)
70% RAM (idle)

Plus - at the current time, XP is more reliable and *way* more secure than Vista. Looks at some of the bugs Windows has been fixing of date? Wonder what else there is :S

Last edited:
Honestly - it's a pile of hype, all our new machines came with it and were immediately rebuilt with XP using the old systems licences (some 2K - and actual stable MS OS)

Looks pretty but does nothing.

Give it a couple of years and it might work, even the games writers are balking.

I was thinking about switching to Vista nearer the end of the month... I think I might change my mind about that now :p

I was mainly moving to Vista since it seems like Microsoft and maybe other companies will be making games and applications for just Vista... Halo 2 for PC is just one example.

Could you please provide proof of this 200% performance increase?
Why should I. I'm just basing this on my personal opinion.

@Hosting-Shack: So you're telling me when you first log on in Vista you can't do things straight away without it freezing. I can run loads of apps at once with no performance hit.
I have to say though, when I was on Home Premium it was alot slower than Buisness, which is what i'm on now.

I did not say it freezed up.

I opened up photoshop on both of them at the same time, and the XP loaded it up quicker, a fair second to two seconds quicker.

I did not say it freezed up.

I opened up photoshop on both of them at the same time, and the XP loaded it up quicker, a fair second to two seconds quicker.
Fair enough if it did, but i'll always remember when XP came out, it was the same scene as this now. Nothing worked and everyone was complaining. Vista has been out for like half a year and obviously apps aren't optimised for it. Same as the drivers.

Back