• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

GCSNET.net Opinions???

jonny

So I'm thinking of taking my site: http://www.mtboz.com and domain from f2s.com hosting over to gcsnet.net. Is this a smart move? How reliable are the servers? How long has gcsnet.net been about? How fast is the support? Whats their FTP like, do you get dissed after 180 seconds like with F2S? How long will they be in business? And does their ad actually only load once per visitor?

The sound like they offer some good stuff, but is it too good and will they fall on their arse after I've just spent and hour uploading my site???

Cheers
Jonny

They are brand spakin new, and will reach their sign up limit soon. They do seem go now, but fwp's die young. Who knows what the future holds.

[Edited by Canuckkev on 03-15-2001 at 10:31 PM]

Originally posted by Canuckkev
They are barand spakin new, and will reach their sign up limit soon. They do seem go now, but fwp's die young. Who knows what the future holds.

Isn't that coming from a song?

Yeah you get "dissed" after 180 seconds.

You prolly won't lose much if you really got an account with them and uploaded your entire site - you could always upload at some other fwp in case gcsnet goes down, it'll only cost you an hour's worth of life... and you could be doing something else while waiting anyways.

PS. I've got my site hosted by them, haven't had any problems at all (yet) and it's fast! An unlikely combination of "unlimited" bandwidth + all the stuff they offer.

Well I bit the bullet and signed up. So far I'm VERY impressed. Yesterday I sent them three seperate e-mails through out the day, all were replyed to within 1/2 hour of sending! The once per 12 hours pop up doesnt bother me and it shouldn't really bother my users. Though I hope it can stay at just one popup, apparently their sponsor drop their prices by 60% causing them to break short of their targets. Before this they were making a profit. Also guys, DON'T sign up unless you are going to upload and send traffic to you site straight away! This will only cost them more money.

Originally posted by jonny
Also guys, DON'T sign up unless you are going to upload and send traffic to you site straight away! This will only cost them more money.
How? Unless you request an IP, it don't cost nothing to host you. If you don't get any traffic, no bandwidth. And diskspace is nothing.

I agree that support is good. They always replied in less than an hour. And my account was using 95% of resources, so the guy told me to watch it. Most hosts would delete you on the spot. BTW, I wasn't purposely doing it. A script was running and something was messed, and the file it was supposed to be writing was over 150 MB.

Umm, I spose your right. Though the more inactive users the less real users bringing in traffic and $. Right?

[Edited by jonny on 03-16-2001 at 09:35 PM]

i would rather just put the pop up code on index.html instead of all of my cgi scripts and having it on all of my pages...

Originally posted by Omari
i would rather just put the pop up code on index.html instead of all of my cgi scripts and having it on all of my pages...

<<MOD EDIT>>

GCSNET is a true CGI/PHP/MySQL host because they have the bash shell :)

[Edited by Chicken on 03-18-2001 at 04:17 AM]

I just noticed....

Only sites that can generate at least 200 unique pageviews per day may request

our hosting service*. We simply cannot afford to put small sites on our server.

If you are interested in our advanced hosting and can generate 200+ daily unique

hits, please e-mail support@gcsnet.net and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

* We offer basic hosting for everybody. This includes http://www.gcsnet.net/you/,

instant online setup, a web board, and a guestbook. There is no FTP/CGI/PHP/MySQL.

Visit http://www.gcsnet.net/new.cgi to get a basic hosting account.

Thank you for understanding. We soon hope to make

advanced hosting available to ALL sites, big or small.

Current members are not affected by this temporary change.

HA HA, glad I got in when I did!

Back