• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Geocities to end FTP on free sites

zoobie

Mile High Club
NLC
...on April 2, 2002. :chinese2:

Just for the newbies, never EVER download programs from warez sites as they contain viruses and commands that could require you to reformat your computer...losing valuable programs/data if no backup is available.

Your FTP Service

Beginning April 2, 2002, we will no longer provide FTP access as part of our free home page service.

Please note that Premium Members will not be affected by this change in service. Free members interested in continuing their FTP service are encouraged to consider our premium packages. All packages include FTP access, remote loading of images, ad-free pages, and much more. Packages start at just $4.95/month (plus a one-time setup fee).

If you decide not to upgrade your GeoCities web site, you can still upload files using the Easy Upload tool which is accessible within File Manager.

For additional help and information about GeoCities, visit our help pages at http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/.

Thank you for using GeoCities,

The Yahoo! GeoCities Team :cool:

Last edited:
I think the people at Geocities are getting desperate. Obviously the free accounts are generating no revenue for them whatsoever, sadly, a thing many free sites are finding out.

Geocities does not have tons of ads, they have one small ad, which doesn't even load if you use any kind or url redirect

But it doesn't matter...they have a rip-off pay service that many people sign up for, sadly simply because of the name.

Originally posted by PyschoPath
How is Geocities NOT gaining revenue? They have tons of ads, and they are the largest free host on the Internet.

Hmmm...this isn't 2 years ago. Just sticking an ad on a page doesn't open the money gateway anymore :)

Let's flee from Yahoories like GCities

All,

I'm not desperate, I'm just angry. People like me using Geocities since 1995 should be in the same state of mind.

Geocities always had some ads. Then they got money hungry and technically INCOMPETENT.
If their ads do not display properly, who is responsible?

It was not a free service. It had decent basic features like FTP. But we had to pay by displaying their ads.

So let's start over in another place.

JF

Good riddance that they're going... never liked the host... and plus, those ppl using it can get better hosting with alternative hosts so I don't think they lose much

Re: Let's flee from Yahoories like GCities

Originally posted by jfb
All,

I'm not desperate, I'm just angry. People like me using Geocities since 1995 should be in the same state of mind.

Geocities always had some ads. Then they got money hungry and technically INCOMPETENT.
If their ads do not display properly, who is responsible?

It was not a free service. It had decent basic features like FTP. But we had to pay by displaying their ads.

So let's start over in another place.

JF

I did never use geocities or even yahoo.There're better free host out there than yahoo or geocities.Why did u use it?What do they offer which is so good(to stay there)?

Because...

I used it because by the end of 1995 Geopages (as they were named before changing to geocities) were the only free host.

Then when you get a nice site well known by the spiders, search engines, robots, why change?

jf

Re: Because...

Originally posted by jfb
I used it because by the end of 1995 Geopages (as they were named before changing to geocities) were the only free host.

Then when you get a nice site well known by the spiders, search engines, robots, why change?

jf

Ok that I can understand.But could just let redirect the geocities page to another page host by a "good host".or make just your entrance page at goecities and the rest at a "good host"

I some how have a fealing that right now would be the best time for Geocities to pull a homestead, and become paid hosting only..

The warez problems are becoming serious.. i have staff deleting warez sites 24/7, and they seem to re-sign up and re-upload files faster than we can delete them.. Its really sad, but warez sites (actually the warez files) are the reason for most of the limits that free hosts place.. and now even those aren't helping..

:(

Geocities should have gone ages ago. I think they should shut down and make everyone happy. Thing is they can't shut down so easily because they host too many sites. But then most of the sites aren't good anyway. Doesn't seem much of a loss to the web hosting industry to me.

heh, back in the day when i was learning how to create webpages, geocities was like the best free host out there.
(i think i still i have my very first webpage up at geocities)
anyway, i think why i had use them was the community and ease of use for newbies back then.
but when Yahoo! acquired them, a lot of stuff changed that i didn't like and so i moved on.

Geocities isn't as bad as you're making it out to be, I started there, and it was a good place to learn I think, good and stable, I've never had a geocities site go down, and even if I've outgrown them, I'd still reccomend them to people starting out, I think it'd be a shame if they closed down.

If you don't like a host for what it doesn't offer, just don't use it, but don't bitch about it either, it's free, and a lot of people who post here expect to get way to much for nothing.

The one reason i always liked geocities is because unlike so many of the millions of freehosts that get mentioned in these forums, geocities doesn't magically disappear the night after you sign up and upload your files.

Same with freeservers.com . Used to be great for beginners. FTP, 20MB, and %99.9 uptime. Noe they removed the ftp, but they are still amazingly stable

Why in the ---- do warez sites even exist?! Seriously, WTF is wrong with them?!
The whole point in http warez is to make money off bullshit ads or virii'd 2 year old rips, not to actually provide the public with warez... the FXP and IRC scene are at least real (even those are looked down upon by most).. they upload files but no one ever gets them. They get nothing but problems for doing it and maybe $0.06 a day, but come the ---- on! Pubs/pubstros are growing, which has basically killed that form of warez, but that is no excuse to go to http! And with FXP you get something in, while http is a huge ----ing waste of time...
The reason I posted this is that I know a lot of members here ARE warez webmasters. My question to you is: WHY?! I know I won't be answered here, but...
Yes I know there are stupid people in this world, but all the webwarezers *HAVE* to have *SOME* reason for this.. whatever it may be... hosting a popular site?! Ha! Popular warez sites... funny... Money? Look @ the legit free hosts killed by you bastards-they didn't make it on revenue, what makes you think your big pr0n revenue is that much better?... Respect? You are by far the most laughed upon people I know of... friends? More like 7 year old leechers who think they're cool... seriously, WHAT DO YOU GET OUT OF ALL OF THIS?! You *KILL* the *BEST* hosts around by wasting both your time and theirs... WHY?!?!!??!

I needed to let that out.. been getting worse all day... heh

umm

Geocities was ok, am not gonna say that it's the best.

Now to all warez hosts n site owners

You KILLED many GOOD hosts around by wasting both your time and theirs... WHY ??? :devious2: :devious2:

Ref : msg from ( - P z Y - )

Any other alternative for Geocities ???

:D :D

Back