• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

gonna buy new pc, but need help

Polykranopalous

We'll I have decided to finally upgrade my Duron 900mhz cpu for something bigger. I would have done this sooner, but I didn't have the cash for a new mobo too, but now I do. I was thinking of getting the AthlonXP 2100, but I don't know about motherboards. Could you guy's suggest a "decent" (decent to me is not the worst and not the best int he world, just an average one) motherboard that will support the XP2100. I also need it to support DDR ram and SDram, without the onboard stuff.

Polykranopalous, I am sorry that nobody has responded to you yet, usually they zoom in like flies with their recommendations. :p Try doing a search here for motherboards if nobody responds soon. Or maybe the *experts* don't know the answer? :confused:

See... this is the same problem I was faced with.

It's not easy trying to find a socket 462 motherboard supporting SDRAM these days. Your options are very limited, even more so since you want it to be DDR compatible as well.

Teh only two that come to mind are:

ECS K7s5a
Biostar M7VIG

Teh K7s5a is generally cheap and stable, but you'll need a decent PSU to give it the power it demands. Teh BIOS is pretty bare; there's not any overclocking options (if that's your thing).

The M7VIG is an mATX, and does have onboard sound, graphics, and LAN, but they can be disabled. I didn't read any bad reviews about it, so this is the one I decided to get for myself.

Dude, try overclocking a tiny bit. I overclocked my Athlon 950mhz to 1.02Ghz and it seems like a new processor. If you bring your Duron up to about 950mhz, it will probably be somewhat equivalent to an Athlon at 900mhz.

You may want to figure out cooling options first. I didn't and now I have my computer case open 24/7 to dispense the heat (mostly because I'm too lazy to install more fans) :confused2

overclocking it, I never even thought of doing that cause firstly I didn't think it would improve it much, but it's worth a shot to see how much power I can get outta it.

I woulda like the mobo to have sdram slot too cause right now I got 512 of sdram and don't wanna buy ddr ram just yet, but I guess thats too late cause my friend gave me a 256mb stick of DDRram cause he didn't need it so I guess I don't need a mobo with sdram after all. Right now I am checking out the M7VIG mobo and if I can find a price for it I am going to buy it cause it sounds pretty decent. Thanks for your recommendations.

If your going to upgrade your computer, I suggest you wait a little while. Your computer can hold you for a good another 6 months or more.

Here's what I suggest buying:

AMD "Hammer" core
A nVidia nForce2 mobo
atleast 512MB PC2700+ ram
Some video card

All that will be avaible Q2/3 of next year

Originally posted by Polykranopalous
hearing that I'd gladly wait, but I can never wait for things I must spend, spend, spend.

Trust me, the "Hammer" cores beat the shit out of any existing Pentium or Athlon.

A AMD "Hammer" 1.4ghz single handedly beat a P4 3.06ghz w/ HP in benchmarks.

AMD Hammer aka 64 will probably be greater than Intel, and even Dell is planning to support it in future. It runs on a 64-bit architecture, about twice the speed of the 32-bit architecture, the 1.2GHz is about a P4 2.1GHz processor.

Originally posted by Polykranopalous
damn, overclocking is out of the question, my motherboard is a cheap shitty one.

Have you tried upping the voltage on that chip?

If your going to jack up the fsb, jack the voltage just a little.

Originally posted by Daniel
Have you tried upping the voltage on that chip?

If your going to jack up the fsb, jack the voltage just a little.
If he has a cheap shitty motherboard he can't do either of those things.

Cheap motherboards provide absolutely no OC'ing options (i.e. no FSB adjustment, no multiplier adjustment, no voltage adjustment, etc.)--take the K7s5a for example.

Originally posted by Bruce
If he has a cheap shitty motherboard he can't do either of those things.

Cheap motherboards provide absolutely no OC'ing options (i.e. no FSB adjustment, no multiplier adjustment, no voltage adjustment, etc.)--take the K7s5a for example.

Voltage Mod. :D

uhhh excuesmah (cool word) where does that link say that a AMD Hammer 1.6Ghz will BEAT a 3.06Ghz P4?

just because it SUPPORTS 64-bit processing doesnt mean it uses it ALL the time, only when calculating 64-bit processes ie. a program has to take advantage of this. 64-bit just doubles the amount of information that can be pushed per clock, ie. if you dont need to push alot of information per clock it is useless (bear in mind 64-bit applications are design to take advantage of this AND only 64-bit programs can take advantage of this.)

Just say you fire up the most latest, most intense game avaiable, the Hammer will just be like a 32-bit processor. Making the 64-bit useless. Unless you acually need it, don't buy it. Because it supports 64-bit processes it means that it will be more expensive, and because it increases the on die size by 20% means that it will be more expensive.

AMD might have a thing going on to boost 32-bit applications by the use of 64-bit processes, much like what Hyper-Threading does for the P4 (64-bit/2 = 32-bit, 2 processors)

Considering the cost of a new mobo, Hammer, and other 64-bit stuff that you will never use, it will possibly be a flump, causing AMD to die, yes i said die....

this Quater, AMD produced record losses, at the same time, intel posted a more than 500% gain.... so if AMD makes a flump outta this, say bye bye....

Back