• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

hard drive cache?

byrdgirl13

I can get a really good deal on a western digital hard drive for the comp I'm building, but it only has a 2MB cache, and I was planning to get one with an 8MB cache. Is 2MB enough for playing games like Final Fantasy VIII? I also plan to use the comp for burning cds and watching dvds...what effect would the lower cache size have?

Originally posted by byrdgirl13
I can get a really good deal on a western digital hard drive for the comp I'm building, but it only has a 2MB cache, and I was planning to get one with an 8MB cache. Is 2MB enough for playing games like Final Fantasy VIII? I also plan to use the comp for burning cds and watching dvds...what effect would the lower cache size have?

I have an 80GIG 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda with a 8MB cache and it runs great. I would NOT get a 2mB because doesn't seem sufficient enough.

2MB cache is still standard, and most hard drives still have it. Drives with 8MB cache will give about a 2-3% increase in performance, but that will only be noticeable if you're benchmarking. In reality, and even moreso on a standard home PC, you would not even be able to notice a difference at all.

And Robert, unless you have a Serial ATA drive, I don't think so. Seagate neve rproduced any ATA drives with 8MB cache.

Originally posted by Bruce
2MB cache is still standard, and most hard drives still have it. Drives with 8MB cache will give about a 2-3% increase in performance, but that will only be noticeable if you're benchmarking. In reality, and even moreso on a standard home PC, you would not even be able to notice a difference at all.

And Robert, unless you have a Serial ATA drive, I don't think so. Seagate neve rproduced any ATA drives with 8MB cache.

who said it was for my home computer???

Finding out how fast things run. For instance, you could benchmark your CPU by timing how long, say, The GIMP takes to load, then compare it under (ideally) identical situations on other computers/processors. You can also downlod software that will benchmark your CPU, RAM, HD access speed, etc.

Back