• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HELM Control Panel

WW-Hosting

If you read my earlier thread you would know that I am looking for a second control panel to offer my clients. I had my options limited to Direct Admin and Plesk but I am now looking at another possible CP.

I was thinking maybe I should get a Windows based server and offer HELM Control Panel. I was thinking this could be somewhat profitable as there are not as many windows hosts as there are linux hosts.

Please tell me what you think or let me know if you think I should use a different control panel (Not Direct Admin, cPanel, Plesk, or HELM).

--
Best Regards,
Josh Shrader

I was thinking this could be somewhat profitable as there are not as many windows hosts as there are linux hosts.

I have often wondered this myself. However, I have found that most people want a Linux based server so chances are that, even though Windows hosting is a smaller market, it is probably just as saturated. :)

Many People Tend To avoid Window Hosting Cause It Is Expensive...if u don't use ASP no point paying more to have a window hosting...

Last edited:
personly i love helm and would use it 24/7 if i could. Windows servers have improved so much over the last year they can sometimes be better then your normal lunix server

If you have customers using Plesk already, try to install Plesk on your Windows server. In this way, if one customer wants to switch from Linux to Windows, he doesnt need to learn a new thing.

However, in my case, I had tried to use Plesk before, and 9/10 customers dont want it. Helm is easier to use. That's why we are offering Helm on our Windows servers.

Out of them, I have heard good comments about H-Sphere. Try it :)

and yes, xd3vilx is right. Using software on Windows platform is much more expensive. Mail server, Antivirus, Firewall... all you need to buy, then your server cost will go up. Not like in Linux, almost are free

gate2vn said:
If you have customers using Plesk already, try to install Plesk on your Windows server. In this way, if one customer wants to switch from Linux to Windows, he doesnt need to learn a new thing.

However, in my case, I had tried to use Plesk before, and 9/10 customers dont want it. Helm is easier to use. That's why we are offering Helm on our Windows servers.

Out of them, I have heard good comments about H-Sphere. Try it :)

and yes, xd3vilx is right. Using software on Windows platform is much more expensive. Mail server, Antivirus, Firewall... all you need to buy, then your server cost will go up. Not like in Linux, almost are free

from past exsprince it is rather hard to change from lunix to windows plesk due to not being able to use the same backups to restore the accounts

the same status if you switch from Plesk linux to Helm Windows for example :) However, if you keep Plesk on both servers, customers dont need to learn a new control panel. It's what I want to say :)

Blitz-Host said:
from past exsprince it is rather hard to change from lunix to windows plesk due to not being able to use the same backups to restore the accounts

Please people, get this straight, It is linux, not lunix. Made and named after Linus Torvalds and an acronym for

Linus Torvald's UNIX
Linux Is Not Unix
Linus's MINIX (MINIX was version UNIX which Linus Torvalds enhanced)

Thanks

HELM is excellent. It's just not integrated with for example Urchin stats, so it's a pain but small price for great functionality. (yea, I know, there are 3rd party addons for HELM but I want native support)
Regards, Chris
http://www.CertiHost.net

I do realize this is off topic to the regular discussion. I'm just wondering why I signed up with WW-Hosting, he took my money, promised a new server for my site since the regular one did not work, then I haven't seen him online on AIM, or MSN since. He has my money still. I emailed him. I asked for a refund. But he did not give me that. I implore all of you not to trust him, while I hope he eventually returns my money. He is just not trustworthy or reliable. That's my two cents.

Thank you sir. I doubt he will run away with my money, seeing as he is active on here. But who knows. If he is that desperate for money. he can keep it.

Whatever profits you make via a Windows based server, you pay in licensing fees to Microsoft. :p

There's generally nothing wrong with Windows servers, though. They're rare because they're not in much demand these days.

Back