• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

[Help] ADSL router, Switch, 3 Computers

Secret

I have 3 computers, a switch, and an ADSL router. :angel:

Can I make a lan network for the two computers and both of them can access internet via the ADSL? Is it possible? :confused4

So, what I want is we can play Counter Strike together and both of us have internet access. The 3rd computer is not really important to play CS together because it's a laptop (but still need internet access).:)

I need help on configuring them.

More Information: My ADSL router is Aztech DSL600EU, my switch=D-Link, all computers use Windows XP Professional.

Thanks.

Hello Secret,

This will be easy to do :) I can explain how to plug the system to have it all work, however for security you will need to higher someone to setup the security on the machine so that there is no problems. I can do this for you at any time.

How to setup the network.

Basically this is pretty simple, you basically are going to run all your PC's to the switch. This will allow all of the machines to run at one time.

Now run your phone line and junk to the router (Aztech) this is what provides the INTERNET, now run your Ethernet cord from the router to the switch (D-Link). This goes to a port that will say up-link or something to the effect of daisy-chain. Should be the very last port. Without the system number for the switch I cannot say.

This will allow you to have all the machines online at one time. There may require some different settings on your router (set to always be connected), and then on your machines to be set to always on the INTERNET and not require connections.

However everything should work. Now I recommend setting up the security, most can be done via the wireless settings, you want to make sure that you only allow the machines plugged into the switch to have the Internet. With your wireless when you program it, there will be a section you can find that will let you list a PC name and its host mask, you want to set all the machines host masks there and then tell the switch only to allow those machines to connect!.

That will lock you up a little tighter, theres more you can do but thats the basics :).

Let us know if you need any help :).

Thanks, it works.

I tried to use "Setup a home or small office network" wizard to connect the 2 desktops.

One more thing, the laptop i mentioned before is usually connected to my office network. IF i plug it in into the switch at home, will it be accessible to the other computer (or maybe accessing the internet)? Should I do anything (re-configure the laptop) before plugging it in?

I can connect the 2 desktops only after running the "Setup a home or small office network" wizard on both of them. And if I run that at the laptop, will the settings for the office network being messed up?

Thanks.

Hello Secret,

Glad to hear it worked :), in regards to your labtop, you are able to create more then one network, which means you should be fine to have a home network that is when your home and one for when your at work.

i don't really get it, what do you mean by "you are able to create more then one network"? Does it use 3rd party software?

Hello Secret,

I apologize for the confusion, there will be no problems.

The statement regarding more then one network, just means you can have your machine setup to work from home on your home network and work off your work network. There is no 3rd party software involved.

This should work without any extra software.

Hello Secret,

Not a problem, if you ever have any more Computer troubles, let me know. Be glad to help yea :)

*Thinks, ahh a new organization to start :)*

Back