• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

help me pick a cd-r drive

jason

hi iam looking to buy a cd burner but know nothing about them and was looking for some advise on picking one. I need a drive that can burn everything from music cds, mpg & mp3 files, cd-roms. and preferably one that has some kind of error protection. also i don't want to spend much more than $500-600 canadian. the computer it will be used with is a P2 350MHZ with 128 megs of ram running windows 98. thanks for your help.

get a memorex/ it's what i have, and it can burn anything. copy cd's, burn .wav files [from decoded mp3's] into audio cd's, and copy basically whatever type of file you haveon your hard drive. you can get a good one for around $150-$200 american

If you're patient, you might want to wait a little longer...CD-RW prices are coming down nearly every week it seems, and you can do your music CDs and data CDs, and keep updating/changing your data CDs

But, if you're in need of one now, Iomega Zip-CD seems to be the best with error protection right now, with technology they've dubbed "BurnProof" -- where if something screws up it doesn't waste a blank CD...I don't know how it works, and that's the only maker I've heard that has it -- I think it should become an industry standard.

Anyway, other good CD-wRiter brands: HP, and Ricoh are dependable ...Memorex, Sony and Phillips might be somewhere in the adequate or more than adequate range; I have not had any experience with them (but their other products [TV sets, cassette/VCR tapes, audio equipment/etc...] sure work great!) .

Back