• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Helpful Tips On Finding a Domain Name

andydenver

Here are some helpful tips for selecting a new domain name.

1. The domain should describe your product, brand or service. If you are just starting a new company name, now might be a good time to come up with both a company name and domain that are the same.
2. Be creative and make a list of as many words as you can describing the content of your website. Remember numbers and hyphens are acceptable.
3. Use shorter, memorable domain names that are harder to mispell.
4. Avoid the number zero, as it can easily be confused with the vowel "O".
5. There are a couple of good websites that have domain name suggestion tools. They will add a word to your domain and try to find available combinations. For example 123yoursite.com or web-yoursite.com.
http://www.domainsbot.com
http://www.nameboy.com

I think that's great advice for your standard brick and mortar mom and pops establishment, but companies have moved away from the norm. If you ask someone who's never heard of google, amazon, yahoo, dig, ebay, etc. they probably couldn't guess what product they are offering. Also, I think longer names are acceptable when meaningful, like monsterforcemarketplace.com.. plus there are things to help us remember domain names. I can't remember the last time I even typed in an URL in the address bar. I either cut and past or use a bookmark. I do agree with the rest however, but times are changing and so are domain names.

I want to add if you public service then try to find the best public words but if you strarts an new company name try to got a new unique name to your new compant to be the same of your company web site..

Great tips!

I consider a domain to be good if it is brandable. Having keywords in a domain is only a "plus" factor - what would really have a final say is how well you SEO the site :D

Dont go for the million dollar domains. You Should never pay more then you can afford in cash for a domain. The domain market is just like the stock market it goes up and down.

Never trust appraisals. In the end of the day the value is determined by what the buyer is willing to pay.

Thanks for the useful tips.
Some argue that shorter domain names are easier to remember, easier to type and far less susceptible to mistakes: for example, "getit.com" is easier to remember and less prone to typos than "connecttomywebsiteandobtainit.com".
Others argue that a longer domain name is usually easier on the human memory - for example, "gaepw.com" is a sequence of unrelated letters that is difficult to remember and type correctly, whereas if we expand it to its long form, "GetAnEconomicallyPricedWebsite.com", we are more likely to remember the domain name.

Back