• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

High UnCapped Bandwidth Dedicated Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittlBUGer

Hello. I switched to a new host recently because my previous host died on me. Everything was going great until the past few days where now everything is dog slow. This is because, though I have 25Mbps dedicated line, they are capping it and thus I'm completely maxing it out as far as apache connections and whatnot goes (at least 250). My server is plenty powerful enough to handle more connections if the bandwidth was uncapped, but they wont allow that for some reason, even though they can put some sort of admin cap so that I have a total of 6.2TB to use.

Anyway, I'm looking to see if there's a good reliable host, who's been in the business for a while, who can meet my needs and doesn't mind talking to me lots of the time or possibly dealing with my server personally when there are problems. My current host, though they have many techs and whatnot, seem to only mostly give suggestions and do a few things to the server, but nothing that provides any real solution. Thus I need excellent support, 24/7 if possible (via email, IM, or tickets).

Here's my current specs and what I would need, if not better:

Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz dual-core (2MB cache per core)
2GB DDR2 RAM
160GB SATA HD
20Mbps unmetered line (or preferably I'd want a 100 or 1000Mbps shared line with a total bandwidth cap)
100Mbps port
cPanel/WHM/Fantastico/RVSkins
Fully Managed (or one of your higher management levels if that's how you do it)

Please realize my server is quite intensive and has high traffic. It usually has 85% RAM and 85% CPU used at most times throughout the day so not only will I need great support and understanding of my needs and great uptime, but I'll probably need many optimizations to my server to make sure it's running well. Please don't even consider posting a quote if you can't handle any of that.

Oh, and if you want a sample of some intensive clients of mine on my server (as long as you can get there, as for the past 3 days it's been pretty unresponsive), here's a few links: http://www.littlbuger.info , http://www.ubcd4win.com , http://www.nabilosat.info

Anyway, please let me know what you can do if anyone can help. I'm currently paying over $400 for that, though I'd prefer a $500 limit if possible. Thank you for your time. :)

UPDATE: "Another idea in case it makes it easier on hosts:

I have one server just for my site, as my site is probably the most intensive and definitely sucks about 90% of my 6TB bandwidth up. It doesn't need to be a very powerful server, just OK, like a P4, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, 20Mbps unmetered. Then have another server just for the rest of my clients, maybe another P4, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, but only 2000GB bandwidth which usually comes standard with most hosts. That way it would definitely help on load and bandwidth issues, but the cost would be a little more and so would the management of it. At the same time though, my clients would get better service and hopefully the users on my site would too as I would have the whole 20mbps to myself.

Anyway, just an idea. Thanks."

Last edited:
Hello,
A great way to improve performance is:
» Virtualize your server, eg:
50% CPU/memory/etc per vps - 1 big site per VPS
» Change to a light control panel like directadmin (not much processes in background and clean PHP/Apache builds)
» Tweak mySQL and PHP with eacellerator will help

This way your server will not go down due to a crash and if one of your sites are unavailable the others still be available...

A simple script can check if vps is ok, if it crashes Hardware node automatically reboot it

I forgot to say that hivelocity have good plans for you:
Dual Opteron 250 - $189.00
4GB ECC Registered $90.00
160 GB
20Megs Unmetered $175.00

$454/month

Customize

@sspt
Thank you for the suggestions, but your quote is definitely more than I'd like to spend, and that doesn't even include a control panel or management options.

@satan
Thank you for your offer, I've PMed you.

Any others? :)

I have until the beginning of next month most likely before I would make the switch if I did, so there's no rush on the offers. Thanks. :)

me said:
I will check my store for this server spec. and will edit this post with my offer. Server request is kind of huge so just wait for another hour.

HostileHosting.Com can host you with our premade plans...

Please PM me to order this server, will take atleast 48 hrs to setup.

• Dual 2.8GHz Intel Xeon with Hyperthreading
• 2048 MB (2GB) DDR RAM
• 2 x 200 GB SATA Storage
• 3,000 GB Transfer
• 5 IP Addresses
• Full managed
• cPanel/Fantastico
• OS - Cent OS
• Dedicated Line of 100Mbps
• All the time 100%* uptime! Have backup lines for servers!
PRICE: $349.00/Month

» Bandwidth Upgrades
Temporary upgrade 100GB block
- $15 one time
Permanent upgrade 1000GB block
- $25 per month
Permanent upgrade 2000GB block
- $35 per month

Possible upgrade for you...
Add another $70 to a total bandwidth 7000GB of bandwidth/transfer!

(*) Only if you disturb the server by means of changing DNS, OS, Reboots, etc

Last edited:
I know we have talked a few times and we are of course out of your budget but I will make some suggestions to help you along the way

Switch to Opteron - their database capabilities far exceed the Pentium D and for the same cost generally

Switch to Direct Admin - usage is lower and less bulky

Consider a higher budget - You have gone through several companies and several machines and they just aren't cutting it. There is a point where in order to do it 100% right you have to cough up far more cash than $400/mo. At the $400/mo mark you are paying $20/mbit and that includes a machine AND management, which to me is extremely low, you should be paying $30-$35/mbit for the bandwidth alone.

Consider Colocation - This will bring your monthly payments down but of course you will have to spend about $1000-$1200 on a machine but it may in fact be the only way to get your price where it needs to be while still dealing with a great company.

Your price reflects a lot of what you can get for your hard earned money, it is like taking $20,000 to 10 different car dealerships and expecting a bmw at one of them where the rest carry standard chevy's.

Thanks Avail for your input. I appreciate your response, but it's hard for me to do much of that because of my budget. I completely understand what you mean by my budget, but that's what it is and that's all I have to deal with right now. Until I make more through ads and whatnot, I can't afford more, it's as simple as that.

I will look into the Opteron to see what I can get.

Direct Admin is nice, but not sure how my clients and whatnot would take and I don't know if I feel like learning a whole new interface at the moment.

Colocation would be nice if I could afford that. I can barely afford a setup fee nonetheless an entire server cost.

So it's just a huge dilemma either way. I was merely just trying to compare prices with this post than anything else. I'm not trying to rip hosts off or something, just trying to find the best bang for my buck with my requirements met. :)

Hello

We can offer you a VPS at our UK location with the following specs:

Business Unmetered 1024
• 1GHz Guaranteed CPU
• 1024MB ECC DDR Ram
• 60GB SATA II HDD
• 25Mbps Unmetered Bandwidth
• 4:1(VPS : Server Ratio)
• 4 Dedicated IP Address
• Linux (6 Distributions)
• Located in the United Kingdom
Our Price: $225.00/mo $0 Setup
--| Click here for more information |--

If you have any questions please email us at sales@aandmhosting.com

Thank You,
Josh Anderson

@ezXEN
I'm sorry, but I'm going to need a fully dedicated server in the US, no VPS and no UK servers. Thanks though. :)

exzen: he is using 85% cpu on a Dual core P4 3ghz and you quote him a VPS?......wow

Buger: I definately understand your situation, I would consider selling some ad space on your site if I were you to supplement a bit of the revenue needed to pull off such a project. I suspect now you are at a point where you are going to need more bandwidth and more machine in a short period of time and when that happens you might be in the same boat again or it could be even worse then.

Might also be a good idea to save up for a colocation machine soon, dedicated pricing can get pretty far out of hand real fast and you shoud be able to make up the savings within a few months time.

I have been trying to sell ads on my site for the past month or so, but only 1 person was semi-interested thus far. Thanks for the other info though. :)

OK, well the situation has worsened and I almost definitely need a new host by next month, so please, if you have an offer, let me know. As for the current offers so far, get back on IM so I can talk further please! :) Thank you.

Oh, and to help clarify a bit other than have a server with decent specs like in my first post with full management and cPanel, etc., here's the bandwidth situation: I seem to be pushing 40Mbps a lot lately so the best-case scenario would for me to be on a shared 100 or 1000Mbps line (with only a few other servers) and then just give me a total bandwidth cap of, say, 6.2TB for each month. Otherwise, it wont work as I've found out with my current host. I have an absolute 25Mbps cap and my server is dog slow, just terrible, when the other day when they had the cap off and I was on a 100mbps line, everything was perfect.

I know this is a lot, but also since my ads are doing better now because of some new clients, I may be able to afford something in the $500 range. Thank for your help. :)

Take a look at awknet.com
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
2GB DDR RAM
160GB HDD
100Mbps port shared (uncapped) (4-5TB can be expected per server)
160$/month

You can also get a dedicated line from them, just contact sales@awknet.com

Bandwidth povider is cogent and pccw/btn will be added soon.

Hope it helps

Another idea in case it makes it easier on hosts:

I have one server just for my site, as my site is probably the most intensive and definitely sucks about 90% of my 6TB bandwidth up. It doesn't need to be a very powerful server, just OK, like a P4, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, 20Mbps unmetered. Then have another server just for the rest of my clients, maybe another P4, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD, but only 2000GB bandwidth which usually comes standard with most hosts. That way it would definitely help on load and bandwidth issues, but the cost would be a little more and so would the management of it. At the same time though, my clients would get better service and hopefully the users on my site would too as I would have the whole 20mbps to myself.

Anyway, just an idea. Thanks. :)

We could do the following UK based server for you

Intel Core Duo 1.86Ghz
2GB Ram
250Gb HDD
cPanel/WHM Fully Managed
25Mbit Unmetered on 100Mbit port
Fully Managed

$475/mo

IM either MSN: support@a2b2.com or AIM a2b2support

Rus

Thanks for the offer, but I think the dual server thing I mentioned earlier is more what I'm heading toward now. What can you do based on that idea? Thanks. :)

I think the 2 server idea is actually going to bring your budget quite a bit higher. What about the possibility of a server for your site and a large or well equipped reseller account. How many users are you going to have on the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back