• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Honest Opinions

Ocore

I've seen this happen to a lot of freelancers, be them designers, writers or anything that they do in their freetime. They create something they call their own, and being proud of it, releases it to the public, feeling good about it. They however get bashed by users about the design/work. If that were you in their shoes, how would you feel? Discouraged to do work again? I've seen so many people on other boards who put down others so much, and I feel for those who's works are being put down. All works are creative and nice, and in my opinion there's no "bad" work at all, its just a matter whether you like it or not.

Also, the board-in-question is a fairly respectable vB with lots of users, designers in particular. I have seen admins being really, really, really critical about the design. I recall a comment by an admin that "there wasn't any effort put in making the design! this is shxt!" and yes, an admin on a big vB. The other admin retaliated by closing down the thread but not without replying with "Its hard to find quality designs nowadays."

If you were the creator of that particular piece of art, how would you feel? ;) I really feel for that designer and I believe he/she will be scarred for at least a few days; feeling negative about his/her works.

What are your honest opinions on this issue?

When Bill Gates approached IBM and told them of his vision, they said he was crazy. They said he was insane and that he needed to step back into reality. 25 Years later, Bill Gates is the wealthiest man alive. Microsoft is the largest company in revenue.

When a person asks for opinions, reviews, or comments - they must expect the unexpected. Does negative comments discourage a person? Sure. But negative comments make the person want to improve their skills.

My opinion? It's worthless. And so is everyone elses. Success starts with you believing in yourself.

Originally posted by Ocore
All works are creative and nice, and in my opinion there's no "bad" work at all, its just a matter whether you like it or not.

If you were the creator of that particular piece of art, how would you feel? ;) I really feel for that designer and I believe he/she will be scarred for at least a few days; feeling negative about his/her works.

I disagree. There are standards, and there are often valid reasons a work of art or writing is called bad. A lot is. Certainly preference plays a part in whether you enjoy the piece, but whether it is a good piece of art/writing or not is a quite separate matter. Opinions should be taken "with a grain of salt" though, since not everyone who's doing the bashing has any idea what they're talking about. ;)

Not all works are creative or "nice" (I assume you mean good, since a lot of art isn't meant to seem "nice"), and there is bad work. Art is more subjective than writing, but both have standards - including whether the creator accomplished his/her goal in communication. If there is no goal or aim for a work, it may be pretty - yet meaningless, in which case it is hard to get away with calling it a work of art.

Some people need to feel negative about their work for awhile, if they're ever going to get better at it. (Me included.)

Id rather hear honest opinions that bullshit ones. If I created something, say a webpage, that no one liked, I would like for them to tell me it sucked. it also helps if they told me why it sucked. That would help me make it better. I admire those who are truthful and dont say good things just to make people 'feel' better.

I think it depends on the way someone tells you your work is 'bad'. If someone says, 'Okay, you could maybe change the menu a bit, try a lighter colour and maybe align the table differently' that would be alright. But if they said, 'That is such a bad layout what were you thinking? The menu is ugly, the colours are disgusting and that table alignment looks awful - you can't design at all' - well that is just rude. If you don't like something, but you can't be helpful or constructive and polite in your criticism, I don't think you should reply at all. There's a BIG difference in being helpful and being rude. Especially since most reviewers aren't any kind of authority. :devious2:

I agree with anhedonia on this one. To be blunt, it really p!sses me off when I see people saying things like that ('That is such a bad layout what were you thinking? The menu is ugly, the colours are disgusting and that table alignment looks awful - you can't design at all').

Yea, it IS annoying. People think they can completely run your design down, and most of these nasty comments are unnecessary. Whether you like a layout or not, it's a fair bet that someone has tried to put some work into it, and tried to make it good. So obviously people's feelings are bound to get hurt if unnecessary nastiness is presented. On the other hand, if you try and be helpful in your criticism, it is mostly appreciated. :classic2:

It's not how much time and effort you put into a project that matters. Hell, I could spend a whole year making this: :) , but so what? All that resulted from my year of hard work is a plain ol' smilie that looks like any other smiley face you can find just about anywhere on the net.

A designer could spend just 5 minutes creating an image, but if it looks good, then it deserves positive ratings and feedback.

So if some guy spent 20/7 on a layout, yet it looks like this.... why encourage him?

Back