• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting Business = Cash?

XT-iZac

I just wanted to know how many people actually get a good profit out of hosting business....Also...What did you guys start with? A reseller? VPS? Dedicated Server? Usually how long does a host take to start before earning cash...And where are some of the places you guys advertise at?

The average you should wait before making good profit, is 6 months (Usually this would apply to most companies, if you make it through your first year, you're doing something right). Unless you really rellly push advertising, by starting big.
also it depends on what you're offering. If you're offering shared - never use a reseller, your clients are paying so you should start with a VPS minimum. VPS' should be high end dedicated server.
Advertise on FWS, HHO, WHT, (Maybe) DP, you can also use something like Google Adwords, Bidvertiser etc if you really have the cash.

Just a slight question out of point...I've seen many hosts selling VPS & Dedicated servers...However, it's obvious that they themselves don't have the cash to buy a datacenter...they resell them from where?

Companies. The Planet, LimeStone Networks etc offer reseller programs of their dedicated servers, Caro.net is one too. Most require you to keep a constant amount of sales per month, otherwise you loose the contract. You also need to pay for the server out of your own pocket, then sell it to the client. So unless you have lots of $$$ to cover and costs that may happen, due to either the client not paying in time, or spam abuse - then you may aswell not bother with that area.

You also need knowledge of how to fix/run dedicated servers, to offer support to the clients. You'd also need to hire staff at some point.

Plus, VPS' are setup by the company you buy the VPS from, they buy a dedicated server like normal off a company like Limestone networks, and they setup the VPS on that server, and sell it to you.

Diffrent hosts resell from different datacenters it all depends. Like a few people here resell limestone networks. Others resell elsewhere.

Most of them that offer vps servers buy a high end dedicated server you dont need to own a datacenter to host them. Some people also colo there hardware although that seems to be a option not many people use because of the high startup costs

No one here to my knowledge owns a dc. We partner with Dcs and resell there dedicated servers different dcs have different policy and its important to shop around for partners before you sign contracts.

yeah after a while you can make a living off this but that may take years to take affect. start out small and work your way up

Today, Webhosting business is much more competitive, you should study your market before investment. Initially you will have to reduce extra expenses and will have to concentrate on getting more visitors and conversion. you can start with some fantastic offer such as " buy 1 get 1 free " lol
Once a friend of mine had started his webhosting business, had work day-night providing quality service & support but unfortunately his server had a severe ddos attack and was hacked and he lost all his account, server was down for nearly 3 days :( finally he decided to quit..........

You definetly won't make a living with web hosting unless your selling dedicated servers. If your just doing shared/reseller hosting, then you can expect a bit of profits maybe 1 year into the business. Don't expect profits right away, expect losses. Also, be sure to be able to provide your clients with quality support. In the hosting business, if your not able to provide your clients with support, you will most likely not succeed.

Gotta focus on uptime too, and DC reliability. BurstNET for example is ----. Their servers are cheap and powerful... but the network needs a lot of work before I'd ever consider it again. They go down and up randomly, and have slow periods... and their customer service is terrible.

When looking for hosting, or servers, or VPS's, I look for 99.9% uptime or better. That means that 99.9% of the time, that server will be online. I look for guarantees as well. People assume that figures such as 99.5% or 99% uptime will be good, but when you do the math... it gets pretty bad. If a datacenter's reliability is that bad, I wouldn't trust them with sensitive information.

There was one guy that claimed to run the DC that FWS ( and the rest of the internet ) is hosted on, he also wrote the first TCP/IP stack if I remember rightly ... however everyone hated him ...

Don't buy a DC.

Gotta focus on uptime too, and DC reliability. BurstNET for example is ----. Their servers are cheap and powerful... but the network needs a lot of work before I'd ever consider it again. They go down and up randomly, and have slow periods... and their customer service is terrible.

When looking for hosting, or servers, or VPS's, I look for 99.9% uptime or better. That means that 99.9% of the time, that server will be online. I look for guarantees as well. People assume that figures such as 99.5% or 99% uptime will be good, but when you do the math... it gets pretty bad. If a datacenter's reliability is that bad, I wouldn't trust them with sensitive information.

BurstNET aka Nocster have recently upgraded their network and from what I hear right now it's a lot better than it was before.

Back