• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosting Control Panels

cobrastrike

When you are either looking for hosting, or looking to start a host what features do you look for in a hosting control panel?

One that works. I like the options to disable php mail/safemode on certain accounts, so far I've only seen LayeredPanel do that? I know others let you disable safe_mode.

Any other main features? So many people seem to favor cPanel and so I am trying to figure out if it is just because they heard it works great (which it does) or because it has features that they like/need.

I started writing a small CP for a brand we've got planned which will run ontop of lighttpd. It will provide the basics - mysql management, email and ftp management.

A control panel that allows you to easily swap between http servers without having todo most of the leg work for it would be brilliant.

So you would want the functionality that cPanel has for the FTP Daemon, only for HTTP Daemon?

Also, is cross-platform compatibility something that alters your choice when choosing a hosting control panel?

So you would want the functionality that cPanel has for the FTP Daemon, only for HTTP Daemon?

Also, is cross-platform compatibility something that alters your choice when choosing a hosting control panel?

What we need is a decent Windows panel. Plesk sucks!

In all fairness, cPanel isn't THAT great. It's only that it's simple on the eye, and is easy to work with on both sides, client and root. As Jason said, Windows. The only one to 'look forward' too, is cPanel, whenever it is they're releasing the Windows version. But then again, there needs be to more than just cPanel in the market.

If you'd like to go big go with LayeredPanel for FREE HOST not paid..

however make sure you know good asp coding and good windows coding reference..

When you are either looking for hosting, or looking to start a host what features do you look for in a hosting control panel?
It doesn't patter if it is paid or free one. The only one difference: your customers should be comfortable with that. That should be easy to understand.

Back