• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Hosts with gigs of space and transfer, legit?

ephekt

Hi,
I am curious - maybe some other hosts could help me to understand, how are these free hosts offering 5 gigs of space and 500 gigs of transfer. Even with a consortium of hits would it be possible to earn enough to offer this amount? I also wonder if they use rack space and or lease 10mbit lines (like at fdcservers.net) ... If they are on a 100mbit, its quite costly to get unmetered bandwidth - anyone shed any light as to whether these hosts are assuming you wont use the space and false adverting or if they are really providing these large numbers?

I've been hosting for 4 years now and it is true the needs and requirements have risen substantially but some of these offers are absurd! Thanks in advance.

Cheers.
Mike

i think most of them or on resellers and just hoping that they wont use they space and bandwidth up, thats what i think

Simply read their TOS it will specifcally say that you may exceed a certain amount of cpu usage or they limit the the file size to very low so its very hard to even come to that bandwidth, also many of them are resellers on small reseller accounts looking for quick cash its almost impossible. I get around 1000gb of transfer for the servers I use for my hosting company and they cost me around $200+ per month so its impossible that someone could possibly offer 500gb of transfer at such a low price

Those are stab in the dark hosting providers. They risks their limited resources and offer more than what they have been allocated with or are capable of. Oversellers and inexperienced... Thats why after a week or so, theyre gone.. abused..

Zac

I know that guy offering 5Gb/500GB
They have file size limit= 1mb

I think it is a commercial thing
I offer u 20 GB .. and i make file size limit 100 KB !!!
So max will use 1 or 2 meg

If u are talking about all osters offering gigs
they are faking or closing !!

do the math, even on an unmetered 100mbps connection, @ 500GB a piece, that's only 60 odd customers, it's an absolute joke.....and it shouldn't be allowed, ever....

KRAK_JOE said:
do the math, even on an unmetered 100mbps connection, @ 500GB a piece, that's only 60 odd customers, it's an absolute joke.....and it shouldn't be allowed, ever....
I agree with you.... but hey. many things can be shady for the price of nothing, you just have to take your chance. if someone is about to sign up with a host, he or she must research this host before moving forward.

Back