• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How do I set up mySQL on my computer?

Christopher

I was just wondering how I set up mySQL on my home computer... I want to run a forum for my family, so we can post notes and stuff (Like "Clean your room" :biggrin2: )...

I tried it already but 1. I need to MAKE a database, I dont know how to do it on my computer, and 2. I don't know what the things are, like when you goto phpBB installation, the Database name, server etc...

So, any help or links would be great!

Thanx

Well you could always just use the Windows MySQL manager that was included in the download if your not familiar with the commands.

Originally posted by Bruce
Well you could always just use the Windows MySQL manager that was included in the download if your not familiar with the commands.
Is that the winmysqladmin? I was usin that, but when I go to create a db, it says something in spanish or something, I think it is saying that it could not cennect to something...

"Precisa estar conectado"

Is what it says...

go to firepages.com.au and download phpdev4 it will give u everything u need then just unzip it and thenstart_phpdev and go to phpmyadmin and create a db it will ask for what the db name and user name will be and it will create it 4 u

Originally posted by Christopher
But, I need to know how to MAKE the db, I know its something in dos like root- create db blah blah...

if u use a win32 machine and if u have setup apache and MySQL, u can download PHPMyAdmin and set it up as an Alias in Apache, then it becomes SO easy to manage your DB in MySQL... forget about doing it in MSDOS, u'll just make a lot more errors...

my articles on setting it all up on Windows Me is not complete yet but u might want to check it out for some good advice.

Originally posted by triadwebhost
go to firepages.com.au and download phpdev4 it will give u everything u need then just unzip it and thenstart_phpdev and go to phpmyadmin and create a db it will ask for what the db name and user name will be and it will create it 4 u

do what i said it gives u apache, mysql, php, perl, myphpadmin already conigured to run out of the box

Originally posted by michael p bennett

do what i said it gives u apache, mysql, php, perl, myphpadmin already conigured to run out of the box
What did you say? You didn'tpost in this thread until now, not that I know of... Am I missing your post here? Or do you mean do what triadwebhost said?

Ah hell, I'll just give it up.. No matter what I download the mySQL doesn't want to work... I'll just give it up...

Back