• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

How to convert a computer into a dedicated server?

asfandyar

I bought a Intel Core2Duo 3.0 GHz computer with 500GB HDD and 2 GB Ram. My question is : How do I convert it into a dedicated server and how do I get bandwidth. Are there any articles related to this?

1. install an OS.
2. install the required server software.
3. find an internet connection from an isp (and don't forget to ask for public ip! or else you won't be able to be accessed by people)
4. don't forget to have:
  • ups (for power failure protection)
  • enough fan/cooling devices for your computer
  • vnc (for remote access) ONLY IF YOU NEED
5. install security softwares (AV, Firewall, etc.) & secure/add password to your router/modem (via settngs) & change admin/root password
6. don't forget to setup the name server & point your domain name. (i assume you have a domain name)
7. Done!

actually, i think it's better to rent a dedicated server rather than making one, it'll cost a lot more than renting. and if you rent, you will have more protection such as: power backup, internet connection backup, 24hours monitoring, etc.

Last edited:
The chances of your domestic upstream being even a tenth of the speed required to host a website are very very slim ....

The amount of bandwidth you use is likely to be restricted by your ISP and the chances that they will give you 1.5TB or more are also incredibly slim ....

If you really want to use your own machine as a server you should look into co-location services, there is no reliable way to do it from your domestic connection, unless you plan to invest ( possibly ) tens of thousands of dollars on the equipment and connection required .....

Also. Most DSL and cable company's do not allow you to host services on your home connection.

I bought a Intel Core2Duo 3.0 GHz computer with 500GB HDD and 2 GB Ram. My question is : How do I convert it into a dedicated server and how do I get bandwidth. Are there any articles related to this?

Don't do it.

Along with all the considerations above, home PC's are not made to run 24/7/365 with constant access or to the spec of a file or web server, so you run a high risk of hardware failures.

I don't know, a lot of ISP's offer fiber lines directly to your house these days for affordable prices. I think we will find more people running home DC's from their house in the near future.

I don't know, a lot of ISP's offer fiber lines directly to your house these days for affordable prices. I think we will find more people running home DC's from their house in the near future.

Not in the UK either ...
Also, while there are a few companies that will run fibre optics to your house, what they don't do is run a redundant power supply, or backup machines, or technicians to overlook the operation, by the time you paid for all of those things you may aswell have gotten co-located or just bought a server from an already established data center ....

Actually Joe, BT are offering it, but its something like £30 per mbit of bandwidth and ~£1k for every so far you live away from the exchange as a setup fee.

It's done per Km, and it's a complete stitch up as not all exchanges yet can handle the fibre links at any volume, so you may have to go to the 'next nearest', so add another £10k+

I knew it was in the pipeline, I looked into some time back ... however BT have been using fibre optics since the 1980's - while they are employing these networks ( or connections to existing networks ) now, there a very small percentage of homes that can actually utilize them, comapred to the amount that can get ADSL ... VDSL and or fibre optic connections won't be common place in the UK for some years to come, and even then, when every house has a 10meg full duplex connection - not every house will have a redundant power supply, and that's just as important as a fast connection ... the only reason BT are doing this is so they can pipe a service to the 26,000 homes that currently can't get an ADSL connection even ... not to give you a faster service, but to squeeze every last penny out of us ...

Last edited:
I think that you have to provide special conditions as for servers in datacntre - I guess it is one of the main thing to be done. I mean temp, humidity etc

I guess the conclusion is: At home you'll never be able to provide your server with the quality environment it needs, unless you want to spend a lot of money on power, networking, uplinks, climate control, etc.

I would really opt for co-location services.

Hm, I've turned 3 home computers into servers before. Though, you WILL need to find a colocation service to provide your bandwidth and such. But, all you really need is:
1. Operating System, Linux or Windows Server
2. Cooling Devices, at least 3 or 4.
3. Apache installed
4. PHP & MySQL installed
5. If need be, a panel installed
6. Firewall

That's basically all there is to it. Though, it does feel like I've left something out...tell me if I have. I cannot remember, as I haven't converted one in over 5 months.

Back