• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net

How to fix corrupted external hard drive?

Saul1

I have a problem with my external hard drive, when i plug it in my laptop.. it takes too long to acknowledge it and when i open a file it would hung, i tried to reformat my external hard drive but it says reformat unsuccessful..

Please help

RH-Calvin

External hard drives are similar to flash drives, so you should be very careful about using an external hard drive. You need to scan your hard drives first and fix errors before you can format the thing. There can be issues like bad sectors which is preventing to format the hard drive.

sinelogix

I would try a couple of things. First I would run chkdsk on it with the /r option (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHKDSK ).

If that doesn't work open the command prompt window and use diskpart ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770877(v... ):

type these commands one at a time:
diskpart
list disk
select disk # (where # is the number of the external drive)
clean
create partition primary
format fs=ntfs (or fs=fat32 if you want to use on PC and Mac)

If your external hard drive can be detached by the computer but all the saved files are corrupted then you can do the following:-
  • Open start and type cmd in the command prompt windows and press enter.
  • Type chkdsk and click enter.
By doing this, it will help you to repair the corrupted external drive and also the files on it.

AdrianG001

I have a problem with my external hard drive, when i plug it in my laptop.. it takes too long to acknowledge it and when i open a file it would hung, i tried to reformat my external hard drive but it says reformat unsuccessful..

Please help
This all depends on the kind of damage it has sustained.
If its logical damage then you might be able to check badblocks or checkdsk depending on your os. (linux and windows respectively) Before that though I'd recommend trying to recover your files on another hard drive prior to running a repair. After recovering you can blank the hard disk mark the bad sectors and transfer the data back.

As for physical damage I've heard of recovery services but I have never used them. If you want to try that road feel free but ask others for their experiences.
I'd say get another hard drive and try to recover what you can on the new hard drive with whatever flavor recovery tool you prefer.

Regards,
Adrian