• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

HTML Editors

Neil McRae

I find that the Netscape HTML editor isn't working for me. What is an easy-to-use HTML editor that I can download for free? I am looking for a program to edit the HTML source of the files I create in Netscape Page Composer.

I use the built in editor is CuteFTP Pro. So much easier to have an editor and FTP in one program. But, it isn't free. 1st page is an great free editor. Notepad is fine, but lacks many useful things that other HTML editors have, like syntax highlighting, and spell check.

Notepad

Notepad's fine with me. Why do you guys keep bringing up these other editors, including ones that aren't free?

I personally use notepad, but have been (lately) skipping all the coding and just using flash, even for simple stuff. If the client wants a static page, flash makes a great wysiwyg editor in itself.

If you still insist on an editor, I've used AceExpert before and have been pretty happy with it, once you cut out all the un-needed cr*p-code it puts in by default.

-fishee

Notepads my choice....

Nothing but, a whole lot a coding going on.

:)

HGW - " What do you add to your coffee "

I use Ultra Edit32 at work and its great.

Great for editing all sorts of programming languages.

HGW - " Check it out "

I always use CuteHTML..
it's very easy, and it has a feature that can fill in the html tags for you:if you type "<a" , it will display a list of features that you can use in the "a" tag... (class, href, style, etc.). It sounds unnessecary, but I can make pages about 150% faster than I did before...
CuteHTML rulez :D

Grtz,
Nevermind

Editor

I prefer the old-fashioned Windows Notepad. I find it easier to add my own coding and its great for editing cgi/perl scripts as well. I write all of my html from scratch. I once used an editor called Web-O-Rama. Not sure if a freeware version is still available. I used it for a while until I learbed what all the codes/tags meant and did.

I agree a normal ASCII editor is the best. But that doesn't need to be notepad. Syntax highliting is a nice feature. I preffer DW cause you can build the base in WYSIWYG and then switch to ASCII for finetuning. It works the best for me, you can make a good page in minutes!

Wordpad, Notepad, Ultra Edit, and etc.

Editors can be very simplistic like the ones mentioned above or they can come with an owners manual which you will have to read to be able to use the program.

I perfer the simplistic Notepad or Wordpad to write everything from scratch.

;)

HGW - " Keep it simple stupid "

Back