• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I am in need of free hosting

Originally posted by Omari
no. 20 megs is not alot of space.

"Some might disagree. 20MBs can hold about 5 different sites if they don't have a crap load of downloads and stuff."

You could at least ask what I need the space for before you tell me that I don't need it. My site doesn't have any downloads it has a message board.

perl is somthing all host should have, its easy to install, i even have it on my computer

"Ever thought of the fact that it could be a security risk in the eyes of some hosts. Just cause you can put it on your computer don't mean jack."

Actually I never thought that it could be a security risk so how about just saying "some host don't allow it because it is a security risk" instead of acting like you have some kind of attitude problem.

nobody wants a banner to mess up their layout and they should be allowed to fit it in with their site.

"In other words, you wanna put it at the bottom so the host makes no money? That's really fair /sarcasm"

Once again, you could at least ask. I never said im putting the banners at the bottom of my site. I want them to fit in with my site's layout.
[/B][/QUOTE]

[Edited by Peo on 12-01-2000 at 11:29 PM]

Originally posted by Mrh0ax
another one is hypermart ... jeeze it has SSI, 20 megs, cgi, allows you to put banner ads where u want

hypermart will end up deleteing my site because it isn't a business site and it uses a message board.

hypermart will end up deleteing my site because it isn't a business site and it uses a message board.

I've kept sites with UBBs at Hypermart (non-business) for a long time. Message boards don't cause deletion, the ammount of resources it use causes deletion. If you're not using UBB you're safe. They'd rather skip your site and delete 1,000's of ROM sites that cost them a lot more money than your message board. Just use Hypermart or VirtualAve. They are the best for what you want.

I can give you some space off my server if you give me reasonable ads placement.... How many unique visitors do you get a month?

Actually our click thru rate is pretty good. An average of 1-2%. Being at the bottom it allows the visitor to see the site before the banner. If he clicks a link to another page before getting to the bottom, well, we have a banner there too (-:

Unless the link leads out of the Member's site of course. Our clickthru % recently took a heavy tumble when we added some 'not so good looking' banners to the rotation. After all, ugly banners simply dont get clicks, so I quickly got rid of them. We use some other ad networks within our rotation, so I can only control the banners where the advertisors buy direct from us....but we are pretty strict on banner quality. You can get good clickthru rates if you maintain high quality, interesting, eye-catching (but not TOO much eye catching) banners. Thats regardless where the banners are.

Thats not to say it would work for ALL fwp's, but it works for us. Plus it makes it look more like the webmaster's banner and not ours because it's at the bottom and we dont place any kind of text or extra buttons above or below the banner.

Nick: I have been told by about 6 people that Hypermart didn't allow their ikonboard.

Synergy: I can not tell you how many visitors my site gets due to the fact that its not finished yet. If you do let me use your server space your banner will be at the top of my page, not the very top like some places I have seen because that will mess up the layout. Go to http://theglove.xoasis.com/index.php, i uploaded my layout, your banner could be centered above the updates board or it will replace the words at the very top that say "Welcome to Wrestling Game Central.". I think above the updates board would be better because alot of people will go straight to it. Its your choice though, as long as it isn't going to mess up the layout. I am sure I will get alot of visitors, what all would I get?

Consider dumping the ikonboard idea if you still can't find what you are looking for. Another one of your requests was php, and there are some decent free php boards out there. Less drain on the CPU, but more on the RAM. It just might widen your possibilities if you are willing to look at other options than ikon.

Hosting

You have 2 options!!!

1) Pay for a host most hosts will give you a small package like that for a few bucks a month. like .20 - .30 cents a day if you break it down.

2) pay for ahigh speed connection sense you are a pro and can install perl why dont you run your own web/ftp/mail servers. For atleast $35 a month for a cable connection break that down to about $1 a day. Oh yeah most companies frown upon running servers. So choice wisely. And with 1000s of hits a day the isp will know somethings up!!!

The choice is yours

F2s

by the way f2s has been around for awhile and there servers have been experimental for the past couple months and I havent heard of any major problems.

Nick: I have been told by about 6 people that Hypermart didn't allow their ikonboard.

You mean to tell me that just because six people's experiences out of probally thousands of UBBs and other resource killers on the HyperMart servers is going to sway your mind?

I had a friend this had that happen. They send you an email and ask if you would please take it down. If you don't, they never reply back, and they just leave you alone. I can't believe you're going to let six people sway your mind...

And by the way, why not check out another message board system? There's at least a good 100+ good ones out there. You just have to look around.

From what I hear ( from many, many more that six people ;) ), Ikonboard ain't that great anyway. Look around, you might find something a lot better.

I am sure I will get alot of visitors, what all would I get?

Don't ever say you're sure you'll get a lot of visitors. For all you know, your site could nose dive. I being a fan of pro wrestling, and pro wrestling video games have seen much better and bigger (no offense intended) sites with much more content than what I see on your site. The best thing for you to do would be to get your site established on VirtualAve or HyperMart or Freedom2Surf or somewhere else and then get a big wrestling news site to host you.

Chicken: ikonboard is the best free board I have found anywhere. the only reason I need php or ssi is so that my newsboard can be on my main page.

michael p bennett: if i had money i would pay for hosting, but i don't. i would also pay for a high speed connection but chances are that somthing would go wrong if I tryed to host my site off of my computer. plus, i have way more than 2 options here. and i will probly end up with f2s is i don't find better soon.

Nick: im not going to risk having my site disapear. hypermart is a business host that delete's some people with ikonboard's sites. i don't want to be number 7 that i know got theirs deleted. switching boards will not work because it doesn't matter what board i use, hypermart will not like it. plus, i am sure i will get alot of visitors because i have a great advertising plan. and how can you judge my site by the main page? there is nothing more to add to my site, i cover all big wrestling games.

switching boards will not work because it doesn't matter what board i use, hypermart will not like it.

What a load of crap. You don't know what Hypermart like and dislikes. They allow CGI boards. Hell, they even reccomend some in the members' area.

plus, i am sure i will get alot of visitors because i have a great advertising plan.

You wont know it's 'great' until it works.

and how can you judge my site by the main page? there is nothing more to add to my site, i cover all big wrestling games.

There are MANY MANY more games that the ones you have listed. Whatever you consider big must be games made in the last two years. What about the new SuperFire wrestling game, that is supposed to be the best wrestling game ever. What about imports? What about old games? New games will be easy to find. Having all games would make your site unique.

Like I said before. You are being really picky here. Shooting down every option is not a good way to find a host.

im not here to argue, hypermart has deleted non-business sites who use active forums, i don't want to risk it.

my advertising plan is great for me, thats one thing no one but me needs to worry about.

my site is about wwf, wcw, and ecw video games, i had an imports section but then i thought about it and it just doesn't make sense, i have never played an import game in my life so i don't know anything about them. i am providing my visitors with stuff i know alot about. right now i am concentrating on getting what i can offer up and the old school games and imports will come later when i find people to do those sections.

i am getting hosted by twu.net, thanks for all the help. if anyone does know of anything better just reply because i have an e-mail alert on this topic.

Chicken, those are great boards but I prefer ikonboard.

Back