• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I have a tip for webhosts

Corazu

GO HABS GO
NLC
I agree with BURN3R on this one, any hosting site that looks like another site (IE: using template) is an immediate close to me. I mean, honestly, if you can't put the work into getting something original for display, I don't want to find out how customers are treated.

It's all about marketing, something that sets you aside from the rest of the hosts.

Regards,

For gods sake hire a webdesigner to design / build your company's (home)pages!

Most of the sites I've come across (some owned by forum members) really look very unprofessional / cluttered.

I think by getting your site nice and clean and structured / easy to navigate, visitors will be more likely to even consider getting hosting with your company.

Templates that are used by most really look unprofessional and also very impersonal, a clear company logo and color schemes also really help.

Last edited:
BURN3R said:

Most of the sites I've come across (some owned by forum members) really look very unprofessional / cluttered.

I think by getting your site nice and clean and structured / easy to navigate, visitors will be more likely to even consider getting hosting with your company.

Templates that are used by most really look unprofessional and also very impersonal, a clear company logo and color schemes also really help.
Thats funny

gotta love the template hosting companies :p

BURN3R, your point is legit.

We are one amongst the few that does not have a design, nor a good template.
While that might be an issue, we want to attract those who prefer in our service rather than our fancy design. It could've/might've help, your argument is quite true.

Regards,

Thanks for the Tip!

Although you have a valid point, you may need to hear the opinions and the reasons behind the hosting owners decision to either use a template or design their own site.
Some would argue that they would rather spend the money improving the quality of their services rather than spending it on a web designer. Theres no point in having a nice website if your visitors dont see it due to the downtime.

I have respect for those hosting providers that have developed their own site due to the fact that they take pride in how their site is presented especially when they've spent hundreds of hours on it making it look exactly how they want.

If they take pride in the way they look then they will also take pride in the way that they provide you with hosting services.

You should have added a poll to see how many hosting companies here have actually designed and developed their own site.

BURN3R said:

While most people think your point is vaild, I however think it was not thought out. There are some questions that I must bring up to you when you say "For gods sake hire a webdesigner to design/build your company's homepage(s)" Well for one, those are very very very expensive if you would like it done RIGHT! Most hosts that you are speaking to on here do not have that kind of money. If you do not believe how expensive it really is you should contact the people at Ceonex (http://www.ceonex.com) I-Net Hosting Corporation is currently excepting our layout to be finished by Ceonex in late October. This cost was a very pretty penny! Also you metion that many customers will not buy from sites like these are that are in personal! Well, web hosting in general is not a sexy componet of the internet! People dont buy a car because of it's tires, but they know they wont go far without them. What matters is the quality the web hosts provides its clients. If your company is very respected, it shouldn't matter if you have a template driven site or you spent $30k to make it look like a unique "template" with some flash work done. Think about this for a just a bit!

Last edited:
InetDedicated said:
While most people think your point is vaild, I however think it was not thought out. There are some questions that I must bring up to you when you say "For gods sake hire a webdesigner to design/build your company's homepage(s)" Well for one, those are very very very expensive if you would like it done RIGHT! Most hosts that you are speaking to on here do not have that kind of money. If you do not believe how expensive it really is you should contact the people at Ceonex (http://www.ceonex.com) I-Net Hosting Corporation is currently excepting our layout to be finished by Ceonex in late October. This cost was a very pretty penny! Also you metion that many customers will not buy from sites like these are that are in personal! Well, web hosting in general is not a sexy componet of the internet! People dont buy a car because of it's tires, but they know they wont go far without them. What matters is the quality the web hosts provides its clients. If your company is very respected, it shouldn't matter if you have a template driven site or you spent $30k to make it look like a unique "template" with some flash work done. Think about this for a just a bit!

good point (like always) :p

Let me ask you, why are you paying so much for a web design if in reality it doesn't really matter how the site looks as long as you provide top notch quality?

Just curious

:)

Because he is a top notch company, with top notch service, top notch reliability, top notch personalities, top notch prices, top notch customer relations, so why not have a top notch website to complete it all ?

peace_hope said:
take a look at my site and give me some feedback. I would like to make mine as userfriendly as possible.

www.aparadiseweb.com

then click the hosting link, and you will be on my site :)

your site looks nice, but you should make the pages actual test rather than just an image, with just the images you'll get almost no SE placement. also change the <title> tage in your pages.

Yes, that is a very good point. For example, look at godaddy.com, there are many sites that are in league with them that are amazingly similar. They even use the same price chart and images. Our site has always been original, although not very good. We just finished a whole new design that we'll be putting up tomorrow, though.

I want to make my opinion is not always the design, you also has to see about SEO, if you manage to get at the top of the SERP you will increase your sales 90%. So also making a good design make it simple for the visitor and for the spider. :)

@InetDedicated and as an addition to my first post:

I know for a fact that there are cheaper designers that can make equally good sites as those extremely expensive companies.
The "Hire a webdesigner" was a somewhat simplified way to make my main point clear.

I myself am a web designer/programmer, though I haven't really done alot of sites for others yet because of a lack of time (full-time student) and I know I can make quality designs.

Not just GFX but also the technical side of websites as in navigation, cross-browser compatibility and most important of all, the personality of the site and company.
If you really take the time for it then the average person can come up with a pretty good idea for a site (what you want your customers to see/feel when they visit the site).

I didn't mean to say you have to spend alot of money on a webdesign but they just have to be thought through a lot more than the current average site.
Just like there are low budget web hosts there are low budget web designers, if you have the time you can even google for tutorials on how to do it yourself.

Websites don't have to be complicated and don't need a lot of GFX overall, just let people see that you care enough about your site, that you are serious about being in the hosting business and put in some work (or money) to look reliable as your site is probably the first thing your future customers will see.

Also: please bear in mind that I'm not a native English speaker, so try to be somewhat flexible when reading :)

Death Reaper said:
I agree with BURN3R on this one, any hosting site that looks like another site (IE: using template) is an immediate close to me. I mean, honestly, if you can't put the work into getting something original for display, I don't want to find out how customers are treated.

It's all about marketing, something that sets you aside from the rest of the hosts.

Regards,

Well said.

Do you think this would also include all the hosts/resellers using cpanel.?

When there is a small bunch of hosts that have coded there own control panel, ie. Deluxnetwork

I personally think that CPanel is a pretty good system and don't really think a lot of things could be improved/added to it. (I'm no expert though so please correct me if I'm wrong)

The main thing I am targetting here are the homepages, the first thing a lot of customers see when they find out about your services.

The current "designs" / templates scare some people off / confuse them, which means you miss out on some customers which means you miss out on some profit.

And especially with low-budget hosts I think every extra member is very important to be able to keep your company alive so you don't wanna scare them away.

Well cpanel installs its own modified versions of servers, which cant be good.
The amount of stuff it installs may also lag the system more then a host using minimal stuff (a host with minimal stuff may also result in better security and speed)

Anyway; the main point i had about cpanel was not if it is better or worse but they are a host which pays $15/month for some software that does it for them and maybe even just a reseller (cpanel is common reseller software). whereas a host using there own panel has much more dedication.

You could almost compare the situation to this:
1. A host using a site they designed, very well optimised (CUSTOM CONTROL PANEL)
2. A site using a template they bought for $10 which is 200kb and loads slow for 56k users. (CPANEL)

Last edited:
Nice control panel on your site Ryza I like that. Looks easy to use and effective. I agree with you that cPanel may not be the best choice. I almost have to bite my tongue when I see a post from someone requesting it. While I cannot code my own control panel, I would much rather use one that is more effective, for which I am not charged an arm and a leg for. I agree when you say it slows down the server tremedously as I have run across this myself. So why pay for such an expensive system that slows down your service. We are to the point of not using cPanel anymore and if we can get a custom panel done the way we want then we will go that route. As for the template issue, service is more important than looks sometimes. I know many people that would prefer a network that is fast and reliable then worry about if their host has the best looking site. Allthough I will agree that even if you use a template at least for gods sake use a decent one. I have seen some sites that were pretty shameful. So yes a designer would defenitely help. And there are designers that do great work for a low price. Mostly because they want their names out there to gain exposure for their work. Oh btw peace_hope nice clean site. And loads fast. Good job, but you do need to add some more content to help yourself out with the page rank. I had the same battle with mine. Good Luck.

Back