• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I NEED A free webthingy. with MYSQL + FORUM ABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sailorminimoon

I need someplace i dont care where.
That runs fast
where i can host my phpbb.
and has phpmyadmin so i can transfer my forums from STUPID lycos to there.
and has MYSQL.
and is FREE.
there is no place
ive looked everywhere
every
where.
there isnt any!!!!!!
My freind said he'd host it but he knows NOTHING about servers NOTHIGN about mYSQL NOTHING about Php.
Sorry if im beign rude im just very VERY mad at him.

Originally posted by sailorminimoon
I need someplace i dont care where.
That runs fast
where i can host my phpbb.
and has phpmyadmin so i can transfer my forums from STUPID lycos to there.
and has MYSQL.
and is FREE.
there is no place
ive looked everywhere
every
where.
there isnt any!!!!!!
My freind said he'd host it but he knows NOTHING about servers NOTHIGN about mYSQL NOTHING about Php.
Sorry if im beign rude im just very VERY mad at him.

mad at whom?

Why be mad at your friend for not knowing something. I'd be gratefull for his offer. At least he tried to help.

My recommendations: :rolleyes:

If your board will get 10 or less posts a day, you should use a WWWBoard (threaded board). It doesn't matter whether it is a script hosted on a free webhost or remotely hosted.

If your board will get 10-30 posts a day, you should use a remotely hosted linear (UBB-style) board. There are lots of good ones out there - take a look at the Free Services forum or PM me. www.xsorbit.com and www.proboards.com are two of them.

If your board will get more than 30 posts a day, then you should host your phpBB on a paid host.

Originally posted by conkermaniac
My recommendations: :rolleyes:

If your board will get 10 or less posts a day, you should use a WWWBoard (threaded board). It doesn't matter whether it is a script hosted on a free webhost or remotely hosted.

If your board will get 10-30 posts a day, you should use a remotely hosted linear (UBB-style) board. There are lots of good ones out there - take a look at the Free Services forum or PM me. www.xsorbit.com and www.proboards.com are two of them.

If your board will get more than 30 posts a day, then you should host your phpBB on a paid host.

I agree with Conker 100%. There are very few free hosts that allow fourums and most don't last. WWWBoard is provided with many free web hosts (www.stormpages.com is one with banners) and is very easy for all users.

Originally posted by Matt8

I agree with Conker 100%. There are very few free hosts that allow fourums and most don't last. WWWBoard is provided with many free web hosts (www.stormpages.com is one with banners) and is very easy for all users.

Yippeee! Finally someone agrees with me on this point. :D

The only host likely to stay around that allows forums is www.tripod.co.uk ...of course, if you try to install a forum on their servers, you have a 25% chance of succeeding. And if you manage to get that done, more good news: your forum will work for about 25% of the time. :)

I'd also like to support Conker's statement which was the embodiment of what we were all thinking, but didn't quite know how to say :).

I agree too...since I'm on a paid host, I prefer to use linear boards and I don't run the risk of worrying about reliability or downtime.

Most of the people here who ask for PHP and MySQL only want it for a message forum...Anyone who want's their own...PHPBB, XMB, IBf, IkonBoard, YaBB board should go paid to avoid downtime and unreliability...else don't have a forum?

Originally posted by KBC
I agree too...since I'm on a paid host, I prefer to use linear boards and I don't run the risk of worrying about reliability or downtime.

Most of the people here who ask for PHP and MySQL only want it for a message forum...Anyone who want's their own...PHPBB, XMB, IBf, IkonBoard, YaBB board should go paid to avoid downtime and unreliability...else don't have a forum?

You see, my reasoning is that linear boards hosted on free webhosts almost never get more than 10 members at max. If you're on a remote host, you could always use their community to gain more users. And if you have a WWWBoard, it makes it easier for users to post, and therefore it is the best solution for boards with few posts. :)

there are also a few remotely hosted services out there you can use for phpBB. Look for them. I dont remember them of the top of my head and i am to lazy to go search for ya.

Originally posted by X-Istence
there are also a few remotely hosted services out there you can use for phpBB. Look for them. I dont remember them of the top of my head and i am to lazy to go search for ya.

www.dk3.com is one as well as acnova.com if they still exist

Originally posted by and1zone
acnova.com does not allow sign ups unless you ask nicely or something...and dk3 boards you cannot change the color scheme of the phpbb...

I am simply posting them cause they are like the only remotly hosted phpBB boards out there. I don't personally like/use them, but that doesn't mean that others won't. I prefer other ones like iboardplus.com (READ my above post)

Back