• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I need help now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toi

I need to restore my windows xp media centre edition sony vaio back to the manufacturers settings. I never recieved the installation CD as it was already setup and the system restore points are useless,I tried 23 of them before i gave up. Can any one tell me where to get the software online or how to force a system reset???

I need to restore my windows xp media centre edition sony vaio back to the manufacturers settings. I never recieved the installation CD as it was already setup and the system restore points are useless,I tried 23 of them before i gave up. Can any one tell me where to get the software online or how to force a system reset???

Contact who it was bought from as they should have supplied 'all' the media. Next step is Sony, but you won't be able to download it, it would be sent out to you if you've registered the machine (possibly at a cost).

Contact who it was bought from as they should have supplied 'all' the media. Next step is Sony, but you won't be able to download it, it would be sent out to you if you've registered the machine (possibly at a cost).
I got it from the sony centre who gave me the unopened installation box,there was no install CD in it. Now i was able to restore the system before xmas using the system itself. It allow me to do it thru the boot options but its a wireless keyboard so now it wont left me press F8 and access those options. It supposedly has a built in recover system but the new updates wiped it i think

That would be from a restore partition, go back to the center and ask them for the disks. This is an age old problem with companies not giving media but charging for oem licenses. They do have to give you this.

That would be from a restore partition, go back to the center and ask them for the disks. This is an age old problem with companies not giving media but charging for oem licenses. They do have to give you this.
So technically it is my legal right to ask for my xp installation disk? What if they ask me to prove that i haven't had them before?

So technically it is my legal right to ask for my xp installation disk? What if they ask me to prove that i haven't had them before?

You still have a right to have faulty or broken media replaced, otherwise what is the point of asking for it - when you can just copy it if that was what you wanted. Get them to open another pack in front of you if they say it was included.

Cool,thank you for your help and advice........hopefully i'll be back on soon to say i got it fixed lol

No, they do not have to provide you with the disks by law, a lot of places charge for it. Seeing as you had a restore partition, I will see them charging you if you ask.

Grey area Richard, actually due to licensing there are requirements to provide 'media' this has to be permenant storage media (CD, DVD, Tape, printed listing of the code to compile), HDD's are not, so the old restore partition doesn't count.

They may want to charge for a second replacement set though, but since Placehold didn't get one it's still due on request.

Grey area Richard, actually due to licensing there are requirements to provide 'media' this has to be permenant storage media (CD, DVD, Tape, printed listing of the code to compile), HDD's are not, so the old restore partition doesn't count.

They may want to charge for a second replacement set though, but since Placehold didn't get one it's still due on request.

I have been instructed to sell hard copies, as a method was supplied, suppling a hard copy would mean the user could have 2 copies of the same software, which would then breach licensing laws.

It some makes a copy (rips) of a Music CD or Game and stores it on their hard drive, is that illegal - Yes, it's the same with the restore data.

PS: Or thats how I've been "brought up" to think.

ask a friend to lend you a disk, and use the serial on the bottom sticker of your laptop. there.

I bought two new computers in the last month, neither came with the software cd, a laptop with vista came with a recovery partition and a pc came with the same ( xp one though )....at the same time I bought a compaq laptop a few years ago which came with the xpcd and a recovery partition.

Evidently manufacturers are not required to provide installation media and if you deleted your backup partition then the only legal ways for you to fix it are sending the computer back to the manufacturer or purachase a copy of xp mce.

Borrowing a cd is a good idea ( illegal, but a good idea ) but I wouldn't hold out hope that it will have the drivers required for operation as most manufacturers customize the installation process for thier own equipment.

The second copy is allowed as you are allowed to backup/archive your media for any valid purchase, that's explicit in the MS license.
For years I've always been against only a recovery media being supplied, your paying for a license for an OS you should receive the origional media so you can install with your own parameters not the HW manufacturers.
Also most recovery media don't allowa simple recovery install, just reinstall the OS they wipe all your data - not handy if you can't start up the system to back it up first.

A second copy of the original media, made by yourself, not the supplier. If you did not make a backup, that is not the suppliers job, and they *can* charge you for it.

You put it in the correct terms, but miss understood it.

as you are allowed to backup/archive your media for any valid purchase

As in YOU, not the supplier, if you are asking the supplier for a copy, YOU did not make the backup ;)

Thats how hard drive backups work, it's not a case of you can copy a partition, to preserve your data as is you have to copy the entire partition (the parts with data on anyway)

You can backup partitions. It's not easy, but you can.

Meaning the 'recovery' partition.

Yep only viable method now is to boot from CD then run the util for backing it up in a usable format to allow recovery and then burn to media after swapping it for a blank - oh but they didn't supply anything to boot from either :lol:

But then again, thats like someone saying: I lost my disk, and I could not make a backup because I do not have a CDRW drive.

A backup CAN be made, if you have the right equipment and knowledge.

Now your just nit picking - when you purchase a package (like the VIAO) it should have all the necessary items to recover it yourself (basically a CD/DVD) without having to return it to the manufacturer for a simple software reload, this is obviusly not the case here.

Back