• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

icq's got ads too

Cheap Bastard

at the lowpoint in advertising, icq manages to pull off some advertising deal... My buddy in europe told me he's had ads for a few weeks now, mine just started showing up yesterday... I think this is really annoying for the end user (namely: me) while my buddy told me he hardly notices them anymore... So they're of little value to the advertiser anyways. Stuff like this pisses me off: companies that sell lots of traffic for high prices, while the traffic isn't worth a damn.

Cheap Bastard,

Spoken like a true surfer!!!!!!!!!!

"I've been using this great service completely for free for the last 3 years and they have the audacity to put an ad in it! Those greedy bastards!"

You don't really think that way do you? :)

of course not. What i meant was that they have the audacity (if you must insist on using big words) to charge advertisers normal prices for underproducing ads, thereby bringing the total worth of ads down...

I'm speaking from the point of a webmaster, not a surfer...

If i were solely looking at this from the point of a surfer, i wouldn't even be making this discussion, i'd simply be looking for a new service...

Just like your reason to switch to second clickthru payments... (ditching unproductive traffic).

i bet they get about 400 banner views / aday out of me and i dont bother clicking the banners anyway. The only reson i click them is becuase somtimes i miss the send button and hit the ad (i bet thats why it didnt go at the top of the box)

I don't think that ICQ, being an AOL property, would have any trouble striking up ad deals, regardless of how ineffective we may believe them to be.

In any case, some software-based ads are effective for branding. Although AllAdvantage was a wash out, I personally remember many of the companies who advertised frequently on their service (BargainDog, APB News, etc), even after not having used the viewbar for 7 or 8 months. Simply by appearing within your field of vision for a length of time, ads can be effective - regardless of whether or not they produce click-throughs.

Originally posted by Robert from SI
Cheap Bastard,

Spoken like a true surfer!!!!!!!!!!

"I've been using this great service completely for free for the last 3 years and they have the audacity to put an ad in it! Those greedy bastards!"

I agree, they gave us a free service for 3 the last years, so they deserve something... Someone should pay... why not have the advertisers pay...

Originally posted by Tem
If you want to remove the ads then just do this:

1. Shut down ICQ

2. Download http://w1.193.telia.com/~u19304506/icqcore.zip

3. Replace ICQCore.dll with the new file in the zipfile.

4. Done

No, I wouldn't do this If I were you ... If they have a different from that ICQCore.dll then it will distory the ICQ program and you will have to reinstall it . There is a website that tells you how to disable the ads and buttons ... I posted it up in the Free Serivces Forum. It's safer that way.

exactly. Besides, the discussion is not about how to remove the ads... It's about the value of the actual ads to the advertisers, and how that value helps to pull down the average value of ads...

Back