• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

I'm a newbie I need a small bit of help

NirvanaX5X

Hi I recently just reistered my domain at namecheap now I just got a plan at digitalhost.net and they host domains but I'm not sure how exactly I like do whatever I have to do to change the namesevers or something?

Please make sure to point your nameservers to:

NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.205
NS2.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.206

I don't have any idea how to do this can someone help?

If you log in to your account at namecheap, there should be an option to edit your details. There you should find where to add the name servers.

Don't worry about the others, just the first two :) That's all you need.

NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.205
NS2.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.206

Thanks a lot for all your help Jan but when I click save changes it says this:

There is some problem updating the NameServers
The problem is: Nameserver NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.205 cannot be registered

What's going on?

Did you paste all Nameserver NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET 66.197.135.205 in?

try just
NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET
NS2.DIGITALHOST.NET

I am assuming you can use either NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET or 66.197.135.205, but not both. Hosts usually give you both. And don't worry I was just as confused as you are once :confused2

Well when I did:
NS1.DIGITALHOST.NET
NS2.DIGITALHOST.NET

it saved the changes but the server like had a dns error then I tried using the ips it said invalid.so im stuck i guess:-(

It will take up to 2 days for the DNS to update. Just be patient :) Some might get to view your site even before you. It depends on when ISPs update DNS information.

Maybe Tim can explain that better :)

You are right Jan, though it can take up to 48 hours for your nameservers to become available for a new domain - however it shouldn't really take more than 12. When new nameservers take that long, it's because your registrar does not send the data to the registry very frequently. Some don't, some do.

The registry updates the zone files twice a day. You can tell if your nameservers are listed by the registry by checking the whois at internic.net.

Your registrar needs to send your changes to the registry before the registry updates the zone files in order to start off the process.

This is why some people get confused when it comes to how quickly "their registrar" can update the zone files. The timing of when you define nameservers for your domains and when the zone files are updated can make it seem like it was nearly immediate if your registrar has the registry timing down pat, or that it took half a day or longer :).

If these are new nameservers for a domain, once the registry updates the zone files the domain should then resolve, since nothing has been cached in any ISPs caching DNS resolvers. Once this data has been cached out in the world, changes to your nameservers will require up to 48 hours to be visible (the Time To Live value at the registry for entries in the zone file is 48 hours) and changes to your actually DNS records will take the TTL values from your DNS records to change - if the ISP caching resolvers are playing by the rules.

And that's probably more than you wanted to know :).

-t

Hey NirvanaX5X, You could ask us to help you ;)
We have 24/7 live chat. If you have question or problems please don't hesitate to contact us.
By giving you a free hosting account, doesn't mean we don't support you.
You are always welcomed.

Back