• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

increase VGA memory

holydevil

hi, i recently purchased a 1GB RAM and had 256MB RAM prev, now i want to allot that full 256MB RAM to my Graphics and 1RAM to my comp can some 1 help on how to go about it

Thanx

well.. depends.
do you have onboard video or a standalone video card?
you cannot increase the ram on a standalone video card. you buy a new one.
if you have onboard video, goto your bios and find the graphics section. you'll be able to see how much can you give to the video part.
Most mobo's I've seen only allow you 64 or 128, didnt see a 256 yet.

first make sure your mobo has an agp slot. some mobos with onboard video do not have them.
If it does, then yes you'd be able to add an agp video card to it, but you have to disable the onboard video. either onboard or outboard.
if you add that 256 vid card, you'd have 256mb for video and 1.25gb of normal ram (1gb + 256ram)

i dont have a 256 vid card. and ya my mobo supports agp slot
MSI VIA chipset P4M800

but i want to know the diff if i share the 256ram or put a external nvidia 256 Graphics card

thanx

the thing im telling you is your mobo will not allocate the whole 256mb for the graphics. The maximum size I've seen is 128, 64mb beeing the average.

and even if it would take 256mb, using an ouboard card will always give you better results.

always go seperate if you can.
in your case, get that nvidia card

Back