• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathdemon321

i'm stuck installing OS to a completely blank hd and new motherboard adn all....

i tried using a boot disk but i got lost and can't figure out how to run it off the cd-rom drive, could anyone point me in the right direction?

"OS" is more related to Mac "OS X" rather than any[/] Operating System... like XP.....

When it just starts up, press F2 and Del, just repeating pressing these two, then BIOS config screen shoould show up, go to Boot Options and select CD Rom as the first one, Save, Insert in the CD, Reboot

CoogleX said:
"OS" is more related to Mac "OS X" rather than any[/] Operating System... like XP.....

Excuse me? OS stands for Operating System. It does not stand for OS X, which only has been around for a few years.

Ok ok, I revise it.

Abbr. "OS" is more popular w/ "OS X" rather than any[/] Operating System... like XP.....

Some kind of proof: Google it: http://cooleon.us/?x=os First result is some kind of survey, second result is OS X

CoogleX said:
Ok ok, I revise it.

Abbr. "OS" is more popular w/ "OS X" rather than any[/] Operating System... like XP.....

Some kind of proof: Google it: http://cooleon.us/?x=os First result is some kind of survey, second result is OS X

according to what you said
I typed in "operating system", but I could see:
the first site = howstuffworks, and they discuss how operating system works based on winXP
the 2nd and the 3rd sites are about linux
so your OS X comes after those...

seriously, OS stands for operating system
it's not in favor of any specific brand's, company's or organizations' operating systems.

Why does OS X appear right after the survey (1st result)?

Because you type in the keyword "OS". The search engine is not human, it won't anaylze what you mean by OS, it just wants to give you the results that match exactly with your keyword as soon as possible, thus such result appears at the top.

by the way, the topic is off already.... :eek:

Last edited:
Fine, I'm something like a search engine, and I'm so not a human. I read that he's installed "OS", I figured that it cannot be Ordnance Survey so I went w/ my second thought, OS X.

----- or ------

I'm sorry for my misunderstanding, I just didn't think anybody'd ask a question like that and not stating what kind operating system they are installing. So when they say "OS" I think if "OS X" cuz I thought they are talking about the opertating system when they said "OS" ..........

CoogleX said:
Fine, I'm something like a search engine, and I'm so not a human. I read that he's installed "OS", I figured that it cannot be Ordnance Survey so I went w/ my second thought, OS X.

----- or ------

I'm sorry for my misunderstanding, I just didn't think anybody'd ask a question like that and not stating what kind operating system they are installing. So when they say "OS" I think if "OS X" cuz I thought they are talking about the opertating system when they said "OS" ..........

No, it's okay, I am not saying that you are a computer or something.
If you felt you were offended, I am sorry.
we were just discussing what OS actually means to people.

Actually, I'm sorry too. Lol, why does this always happen, once one person apologizes the other usually apologize right after....

::cough:: I think we've got this thread carried away. Is that guys' problem answered yet? >.<

heh no its not......two things now
first, how the heck can my comp use a cd-rom drive without drivers or anything?
two, now its just displaying a blank screen on startup.......whats that mean?

"Blank screen on startup".

That could mean a few things. If by "blank", you mean "blank", that isn't good....(assuming you checked power supply and monitor cable connection...)

How new is your motherboard? Older ones won't let you boot from CD-ROM...you would need a floppy bootdisk to install the CD-ROM drivers, then run the startup program to install from CD. If it is a newer motherboard, as stated, you must go into your BIOS setup (usually by pressing "Del" right after booting up) and set it to boot from CD-ROM. Save the BIOS data, put the CD in the tray, and boot up. It should read the CD, and start the install program.

deathdemon321 said:
heh no its not......two things now
first, how the heck can my comp use a cd-rom drive without drivers or anything?
two, now its just displaying a blank screen on startup.......whats that mean?

Did you get to the BIOS screen?

no its just kinda black with nothing there.....and now my dad says not to touch the thing.....so i can't check anything now (plus i'm only taking his word for it that its blank so i dunno whats happening i'll try your suggestions when i get the chance)

about 5 out of 5 computers/friends' computers where i've seen this problem... (when you boot up nothing appears only a blank screen, but power supply and lights are on) it's the RAM. usually memory stick inserted incorrectly.

if you've been using the computer and haven't touched it.. i think it COULD be that the RAM stick suddenly went bad, although it's not too likely that the whole stick just suddenly broke. usually it'd just have some bad segments.

if that's not the case i suggest you check the power supply. IMO motherboard should always be checked last simply because it takes so long to change a motherboard. i highly doubt it's processor problem.

and you kept worrying about how your computer would recognize the cd-rom drive without drivers in order to boot with cd... chances are if your computer is anything bought in the past, 8 years or so, all you need to do is enter the BIOS and set the boot sequence to cd-drive before the harddrive. you don't need to start it with DOS drivers or anything to boot with cd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back