• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

IP Allocation

ashben

Just wondering, how do web server admin's allocate unique IP addresses. Is there a calculator to do the job or a rule definition?

Suppose I wanted to assign my computer a unique static IP and map a domain to it, how do I go about doing that. I'm not talking about local intranet/network IP's which I know can be assigned using DHCP.

Gayowulf, from whom do I have to buy these IP's. I always thought IP allocation was not an expensive affair.

I 'm guessing that you are running linux/unix and not Windows, except for maybe IIS. Well, what you need to do is call up an ISP and tell them you want to buy a static ip. You probably could talk to internic about this and they should be able to set you up as well. Once you get that number I belive you need to find a friend that would be willing to help because you're going to need two boxes to be able to do this. I can't remember how to do it (on unix anyways)maybe there is a tutorial somewhere

uhm, you buy IP's in Class C's or more... now ARIN wont sell ip's unless you are buying in thousands.. you cant just allocate 1 IP to yourself.. even if you do, you have to setup a router to ROUTE the ip to you, and in this case, my question is, will your ISP route an IP to you which you own ? . probably not .. another tip, call your ISP, and tell them you want a dedicated IP, they'll probably charge $100 / month or so, (even if you're on dialup) and give you a dedicated IP, once you got that, setup all your server daemons :)

My cable connection came with a dynamic IP, but it hasnt changed once since I have had it (about 6 months) i guess im one of the lucky ones :). Too bad running a server is against the terms of service :(

Your cable service uses a type of DHCP, it assigns you an ip address and it gives it to you for tw or three days. If you are offline for more then two or three days at a time you will lose your IP. I have has @home since early 2000 and I have had only two Ip's.

Back