• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

IP

Elap

Ok, just to tell you that you've made a good choice in vBulletin as a new forum.

Here's my question: i can understand you're tracking IP numbers, but why show them to everyone?

Thanks,

Elap

The old forums showed the IP numbers... Maybe they were kept so people could identify lamers who hid behind proxy servers and advertised.

Originally posted by }:8) Supermoo
Still would be nice if there was an option to hide them...

Then the proxy lamers can hide them and no one would know that they used a proxy. But hiding may be nice now that you think of the security risks... Imagine a fight on the message boards, then one decides to DoS the other... BAM!

Its not that hard to mask your IP, and if I were to flame this board or its members (and I wouldn't :), I would definately do that. Anyway, i dont think its that bad...just make sure sure you have the netBIOS port on your computer closed... :D

I don't know much about this type of board, but others I have managed gave me the option of hiding the IP's from users but admin still had them so if there were problems they could be tracked. Is this not possible with this board?

Oh yeah, with Vbulletin there is a built in feature that will say your IP is logged, and then the admin can look it up if he wants...

But...its Peo's board and he can do what he wants with it :)

Back